Beach Cannon?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Man, I really need to fish with one of you who can "easily cast into the backing". I feel like i'm decent with the stick, but even from a boat with no worry of hitting my back-cast can I get into my backing. I'd love to see it happen and try to compare what I'm doing different/wrong.

I’m far from a great caster.
Same here for me. Not even close to the backing……
I need to start cutting 20-30’ off the back of my lines. ;)
SF

longputt

Man, I really need to fish with one of you who can "easily cast into the backing". I feel like i'm decent with the stick, but even from a boat with no worry of hitting my back-cast can I get into my backing. I'd love to see it happen and try to compare what I'm doing different/wrong.
Cut about 20 feet off of your fly line!

Vandelay Industries

A wholly owned subsidiary of Kramerica Industries
We're all fisherman. We always tell the "truth" about length and distance. Hahaha.

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium

I think it depends heavily on the line and rod. I've had a few setups that I could hit the backing on. However, in my experience, there are some lines that are impossible to do that with. See below for some examples.

Possible:
6wt Rio OBS on 6wt TFO BVK
8wt Rio Striper on 8wt Redington Predator

Impossible:
5wt Rio Gold on 5wt TFO Finesse
5wt Airflo Elite on 5wt Redington CT
4wt SA Trout on 4wt Redington CT

Keep in mind that casting a whole line pretty much mandates using a stripping basket or not standing in the water. If your slack line is in the water, it will have way too much resistance and limit how much line you can shoot.

If I was buying a rod specifically for easy distance, I would get an Echo OHS or 10ft Ion XL and use an OPST Commando or Wulff Ambush line.

Last edited:

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
I found being a teacher at school with no students, and an empty football field, was the perfect place to put in 8 hours of casting practice a day for the last four months of the 2019-2020 school year.

Clean lines (artificial turf) and measurements and built in targets.

Depends on the rod and line, and conditions. 120’+ is fun on a football field with no wind if you don’t care about hula-hoop accuracy.

Last edited:

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
Like Jared said, depends.

Although, I've fished with a few folks where it simply doesn't matter. I am not one of those folks. There are a couple of rod/line combos that are great for massive distance (even with the hitch in my casting stroke). Honestly, there have only been a couple of times where I've done it and needed to while fishing. One weekend while visiting my folks up in PT and fishing for salmon last year, it was necessary and fortunately I was able to pull it off regularly then with the combo I was using (Dan Craft FT 7wt paired with a 280gr Cortland compact intermediate). I was actually surprised since I had never needed to while fishing prior to that. Casting in a field turned out to be quite a bit different than actually fishing...even with my stripping basket.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
I'll add two more setups to the "possible" category:

Alpha + 6wt with 7wt Rio Predator
XP 8wt with 8wt SA Sonar Titan

Coming from someone who is not a great caster - these two work and make seeing backing on the cast a reality.

They make all the chicks turn and look. Cause you know, chicks dig the long cast.

longputt

My dad was one of "those" people it didn't matter what he was casting, 90+ feet was nothing for him. His easiest casting rod was a 10' for 7wt IMX that was 25+ years old...that rod caught 1000's of steelhead and 100's of baby tarpon and bonefish with long casts.

But he really emphasized accuracy and no mending, his casts were straight and landed perfectly, even at 90 feet when wading.

He used SA lines his latest were Mastery MPX.

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
They make all the chicks turn and look. Cause you know, chicks dig the long cast.
See, I knew there was a reason for long casts. I’ve been reserving the long ones for windless days when I don’t want to get within 40’ of the water’s edge, but no more!

mickeyrat

WFF Premium
I found being a teacher at school with no students, and an empty football field, was the perfect place to put in 8 hours of casting practice a day for the last four months of the 2019-2020 school year.

Clean lines (artificial turf) and measurements and built in targets.

Depends on the rod and line, and conditions. 120’+ is fun on a football field with no wind if you don’t care about hula-hoop accuracy.
Jake, I was doing the same a few blocks on the playfields down the street. Really improved my game. I've upgraded to a Sector 6 weight and recently tried my sons Centric 7 weight on the Colorado when visiting in April and threw the entire line on the second cast. Practice does way more than hardware, although I'm now a total $cott devotee. BTW, what ever became of the Beach line I sold you?

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
Jake, I was doing the same a few blocks on the playfields down the street. Really improved my game. I've upgraded to a Sector 6 weight and recently tried my sons Centric 7 weight on the Colorado when visiting in April and threw the entire line on the second cast. Practice does way more than hardware, although I'm now a total $cott devotee. BTW, what ever became of the Beach line I sold you?
It lasted about 3 months, then my kid got it wrapped in a propeller on his second cast.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
See, I knew there was a reason for long casts. I’ve been reserving the long ones for windless days when I don’t want to get within 40’ of the water’s edge, but no more!
Flocks of women will be asking you if you're single.

Pro tip: bring a puppy with you and bomb a few casts out there 90+. Might as well be on an episode of the bachelor at that point. Girls will be fighting over you. Tears will be shed. Love will be had, and ultimately, a bond that lasts a life time will form....with the puppy - not the girls. They'll flake out and realize your a fishing bum and leave you.

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
Flocks of women will be asking you if you're single.

Pro tip: bring a puppy with you and bomb a few casts out there 90+. Might as well be on an episode of the bachelor at that point. Girls will be fighting over you. Tears will be shed. Love will be had, and ultimately, a bond that lasts a life time will form....with the puppy - not the girls. They'll flake out and realize your a fishing bum and leave you.
What lb test and leader will turn over a puppy? I struggle to cast them more than 20’ (it’s more of a chuck-and-duck situation) and the presentation is terrible.

You’re right, though, it does draw a crowd.

longputt

This made think of a time I was in Moses Lake casting poppers around docks from a boat when a kitten came down to watch. I made some false casts over by the kitty and it jumped up and caught the popper in its front paw. It started jumping up and down and then I noticed a bunch of people in their backyard and me with their kitty hooked up.

Luckily it threw the fly before it got embarrassing!

BTW you don't need much backing for kitties they jump well but don't run much.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts