Beach Cannon?

Vandelay Industries

A wholly owned subsidiary of Kramerica Industries
This made think of a time I was in Moses Lake casting poppers around docks from a boat when a kitten came down to watch. I made some false casts over by the kitty and it jumped up and caught the popper in its front paw. It started jumping up and down and then I noticed a bunch of people in their backyard and me with their kitty hooked up.

Luckily it threw the fly before it got embarrassing!

BTW you don't need much backing for kitties they jump well but don't run much.
Trout set or strip set?

holtad

WFF Premium
I think it depends heavily on the line and rod. I've had a few setups that I could hit the backing on. However, in my experience, there are some lines that are impossible to do that with. See below for some examples.

Possible:
6wt Rio OBS on 6wt TFO BVK
8wt Rio Striper on 8wt Redington Predator

Impossible:
5wt Rio Gold on 5wt TFO Finesse
5wt Airflo Elite on 5wt Redington CT
4wt SA Trout on 4wt Redington CT

Keep in mind that casting a whole line pretty much mandates using a stripping basket or not standing in the water. If your slack line is in the water, it will have way too much resistance and limit how much line you can shoot.

If I was buying a rod specifically for easy distance, I would get an Echo OHS or 10ft Ion XL and use an OPST Commando or Wulff Ambush line.
My post was only semi-serious but I appreciate everyone's responses. I'm rocking a 6wt Sage One with a RIO OBS or a 8WT Sage Method with the same line. Always with a stripping basket if on the beach etc... Pretty sure those should both be cannons, so I'm assuming it's the "Indian, not the Arrow" in this case. I think cutting down my running line seems like my best bet! Or, some turf field practice. Etiher way, I don't think I'm materially missing out on many fish with the distance I get, but still my ego!!!

The other thing I notice is that I can really huck an unweighted fly. My flat-wings get out there the furthest. The heavy dumbell eye clousers prob go 10-15% shorter. I can't seem to get them going fast enough back to get the timing right on the forward haul, when I'm at max distance.

I'm not looking for advice (though happy to read it) as i'm sure practice, practice, practice is the answer if I really wanted to get there.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Premium
This made think of a time I was in Moses Lake casting poppers around docks from a boat when a kitten came down to watch. I made some false casts over by the kitty and it jumped up and caught the popper in its front paw. It started jumping up and down and then I noticed a bunch of people in their backyard and me with their kitty hooked up.

Luckily it threw the fly before it got embarrassing!

BTW you don't need much backing for kitties they jump well but don't run much.
I had a cat that would grab a piece of yarn or small bobber I used when lawn casting. She’d grab it and jump and run like a bonefish if the drag was set just enough to keep line from overrunning when I pulled it off the reel. Great fun, I miss that cat….

CreekScrambler

I’ve never bothered aerializing much more than the complete belly of a standard WF line with a bit of running line handy to shoot. It’s no fun to try to get running line to transfer energy into a head.

I did get to recently use a log as a casting platform and now those hero shots of dudes dropping 70’ casts from flats boats makes sense.

Of course, there are the immortals among us who can throw 100’ on a 3wt in a gale.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
Dogs fight pretty hard too, but they don't run much either...at least not away.

dwn5q0X.jpg

mcswny

Man, I really need to fish with one of you who can "easily cast into the backing". I feel like i'm decent with the stick, but even from a boat with no worry of hitting my back-cast can I get into my backing. I'd love to see it happen and try to compare what I'm doing different/wrong.
Second!

Ian Horning

Powerbait Entomologist
My 7wt BVK has been my go-to "reach out and touch" stick for years. I've cast all 123 feet of a type 3 airflo 40+ on that stick and gave the drag a zing. I've also broken 2 of them loading up the rod to shoot 120 feet of a 40+...
Same thing for a standard floating line, the MPX. It seems like a the rod occupies its niche pretty well- very fast, stiff taper, designed to shoot long.

Most important tho is generating line speed. That's what really gets the line to shoot, not the type of rod ;)

longputt

I've also broken 2 of them loading up the rod
I broke a couple of rods trying to make shooting heads. If they are too short it is a little scary. I hear people complain about warranty costs. How can they be sure it wasn't some joker (like me) trying to make shooting heads for 120 foot casts?

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
If you can't cast far enough, wade deeper.

If you can't wade deep enough, buy a boat.

If you can't catch salmon off the boat, buy downriggers.

If you still can't catch salmon then go to Fred Meyer, think it's around $13/lb on sale.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts