Bamboo Fishing a hollow boo rod

Timson

Anybody fish a R L Wiston 5 wt hollow built? Was it responsive? I have a chance to pick 1 up at a reasonable price but none of my boo rods is hollow built. Thanks for any replies. JT

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Premium
I have a hollow-built 5 Wt, not Winston, the Blank is by Dennis Stone - not quite sure what "responsive" in this case means, but I love it, great rod to cast, great rod to catch fish with. If it's a good price and you like cane rods, I would definitely go for it.

cheers

Timson

I have a hollow-built 5 Wt, not Winston, the Blank is by Dennis Stone - not quite sure what "responsive" in this case means, but I love it, great rod to cast, great rod to catch fish with. If it's a good price and you like cane rods, I would definitely go for it.

cheers
We are dealing, I fish a lot of Bamboo everywhere except the Salt. This is a 5 wt, 2 inches over 6 foot,2 and 2.Thanks for the reply. You ever fish Lake Skiddy, just off FT Riley and full of giant Crappie?

kmudgn

There is a local guy near me in Maine that builds cane rods. His stuff is very well built, but costly. I tried two of his rods last year. One was a hollow built, the other "regular". Both rods were listed as the same line weight and cast (as far as I could tell) exactly the same. There was a definite difference in the actual weight of the hollow rod vs. the other. Over the course of a day's fishing it might make a difference for your shoulder, but it was a lot more money and I don't think I could justify the extra expense. I bought neither rod as they are way too pricey for me.

para_adams

All things equal, I'd generally want to pay less for a solid built for any rods 8' or shorter as I don't think the hollow building weight reduction matters for rods shorter than 8-1/2'. But any rod from Winston is a keeper, especially those made by Glenn Bracket when the company was in Montana.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Premium
We are dealing, I fish a lot of Bamboo everywhere except the Salt. This is a 5 wt, 2 inches over 6 foot,2 and 2.Thanks for the reply. You ever fish Lake Skiddy, just off FT Riley and full of giant Crappie?

Never heard of Lake Skiddy. The wife grew up just outside Fort Riley (she was an army brat), MIL stayed, so we visited often. Did fish Tuttle puddle (Tuttle Creek lake) and Milford - Bass and Crappie.

cheers

Timson

Never heard of Lake Skiddy. The wife grew up just outside Fort Riley (she was an army brat), MIL stayed, so we visited often. Did fish Tuttle puddle (Tuttle Creek lake) and Milford - Bass and Crappie.

cheers
Skiddy was 1 of the quarries the sandstone came from , probably back in Custers time. It filled in and supported some of the biggest Crappie I have ever seen or caught.Riley was my last duty station in 1973. Milford held a surprise for a west coast guy. We skinny dipped , drunk , at night.Fished it once and landed 1 of their needle nosed gar. Never swam sans cutoffs again.

Tom Bowden

Winston uses a process called "hollow fluting," which was developed back in the 1940's or 1950's by Lew Stoner. It results in a larger surface for gluing, with a thinner wall thickness in the middle of each strip. It's likely that the rod taper was designed for this hollowing.

I wouldn't hollow a 6'2" rod, since I like the weight on short solid rods. I always hollow-build rods over 8'. If done properly, a hollow rod is just as durable as a solid one.

If it's a good deal, go for it!

Timson

Winston uses a process called "hollow fluting," which was developed back in the 1940's or 1950's by Lew Stoner. It results in a larger surface for gluing, with a thinner wall thickness in the middle of each strip. It's likely that the rod taper was designed for this hollowing.

I wouldn't hollow a 6'2" rod, since I like the weight on short solid rods. I always hollow-build rods over 8'. If done properly, a hollow rod is just as durable as a solid one.

If it's a good deal, go for it!
I wouldn't hollow a rod either,due to the length it is meant for skinny waters and I have 3 5 wt's 7 1/2 foot long already in bamboo but none made by Mr.Clark so I'm going for it.

Dave Westburg

WFF Premium
If you have a chance to buy a reasonably priced Winston Bamboo rod do it. They are lovely. The best rod I handled at the Bamboo Cast Around this year was a 9 Winston 4 7/8's oz hollow build 6 weight. My 9' 6 weight Granger Champion weighs 5 oz and my 9' 6 weight Granger Wright and McGill Victory weighs 5.4 oz so the hollow build saves some weight but it's not critical. More important is that sweet Winston taper.

Last edited:

Timson

If you have a chance to buy a reasonably priced Winston Bamboo rod do it. They are lovely. The best rod I handled at the Bamboo Cast Around this year was a 9 Winston 4 7/8's oz hollow build 6 weight. My 9' 6 weight Granger Champion weighs 5 oz and my 9' 6 weight Granger Wright and McGill Victory weighs 5.4 oz so the hollow build saves some weight but it's not critical. More important is that sweet Winston taper.
Thanks Dave.Like I typed , I have a lot of bamboo rods. Just none by this craftsman. 1 of my favorites in a Para 14 from a man on this site. It behaves well and is a true joy to cast.

Justin mitchell

I have several hollow rods I enjoy them a lot ,several solid rod enjoy them as much when I use a hollow it just makes me smile a bit more you can’t go wrong with any Winston let alone a hollow if you pass please let me know I will buy it they are worth purchasing

Drifly

If you get a chance watch the video on Per Brandin’s website re: strength of hollow built rods. Now I’ve seen a cross section of Mr. Brandin’s hollow build and can tell you it’s a bit different from Winstons hollow fluting.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts