Boats Aluminum Hull coating?

Boats, rafts, float tubes, etc

RPL/LL

Just picked up a new Marlon SP12. Will be spending the off season doing a build on it.. Has anyone coated the underside of the Hull to protect it? If so what did you use and has it held up? Thanks

Attachments

• 0828211223a.jpg
    0828211223a.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 60

herkileez

WFF Premium
A friend gave me a tin of Nylac, which he had used for years on his aluminum commercial fishing boats. I coated my 10' jon, inside and out, over a year ago, and it still looks like new, with no dulling of the aluminum. It goes on clear...a little bit goes a long way.

1040 3.jpg
nylac.jpg

surfnfish

Sea Hawk High Build Epoxy...wonderful stuff, have used it both on glass and tin hulls...10 micron per coat, bombproof...

Riffling Hitch

I’ve done gluvit,coat it, and just got done applying Wetlander…. Go with the Wetlander!!! -hands down better then the past applications
Why is it better? Not sure what the goal is for the coating on this post.
I have an aluminum pram and am looking to coat the bottom possibly.
I'm looking for something to help with wear dragging the pram in and out of the truck bed and most likely help it from being dragged over lake or pond access.
Have been doing a little research and seems like the fan boat guys like other tried products.
Any reason you like what you have used vs other products. Maybe just adhesion....

bhudda

heffe'
Thinner application, less cracking, slicker then snot, should be the last bottom I apply with minimal touch up jobs along the way. ( it follows the contour of the bottom instead of filling the gap from chine to chine if that makes sense…) I had a lot of uneven spots with the gluvit and coat it due to the bottom being dented up. Plus you have direct contact with the owner, I spoke with him within 24 hrs of contacting him. Great customer service!!

Jeff Dodd

Why is it better? Not sure what the goal is for the coating on this post.
I have an aluminum pram and am looking to coat the bottom possibly.
I'm looking for something to help with wear dragging the pram in and out of the truck bed and most likely help it from being dragged over lake or pond access.
Have been doing a little research and seems like the fan boat guys like other tried products.
Any reason you like what you have used vs other products. Maybe just adhesion....
Here is a podcast that covers the different coatings and Wetlander owner is on the show.

Buzzy

Here's what you do NOT want to use. Spray on bedliner. My 40 something year old (riveted) Hewescraft spent a lot of years in the salt. When I got this boat I knew there were issues so I got this brilliant idea to have the hull sprayed with indestructible bedliner "stuff". It added pounds (heavy), and now some 15 years later, it is losing its bond with the hull. Seemed like a good idea at the time, it stopped the leaks. Now? Do I flip the boat upside down and spend a day or two trying to get all this "stuff" off? Or just use as is?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Here's what you do NOT want to use. Spray on bedliner. My 40 something year old (riveted) Hewescraft spent a lot of years in the salt. When I got this boat I knew there were issues so I got this brilliant idea to have the hull sprayed with indestructible bedliner "stuff". It added pounds (heavy), and now some 15 years later, it is losing its bond with the hull. Seemed like a good idea at the time, it stopped the leaks. Now? Do I flip the boat upside down and spend a day or two trying to get all this "stuff" off? Or just use as is?

Pat,
Bring it back over here. Throw it in the salt and drag it up on multiple barnacle and oyster covered beaches while you fish from shore.
That should save you some labor from having to scrap off the bedliner by hand…. ;)
SF

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
A friend gave me a tin of Nylac, which he had used for years on his aluminum commercial fishing boats. I coated my 10' jon, inside and out, over a year ago, and it still looks like new, with no dulling of the aluminum. It goes on clear...a little bit goes a long way.

That thing is shiny! I’m not so sure I would want a boat as shiny as that.

ryry82

Fish Addict
Wetlander. Coating my drift boat and it was slick and durable. Easy to apply. Sold the boat but I’d use the same product again

MelW

Certified Curmudgeon - GET OFF MY LAWN!
Upon recommendation of a fellow drift boat owner, I put Slip Plate #1 on the bottom of my drifter before this season. It has held up well so far. 1 quart did 3 coats. Very easy to apply.

Mike Ediger

WFF Premium
My buddy and I each have a Koffler RMTB. I have Gluvit, he has Wetlander. No comparison in terms of slickness. Wetlander is like ice on the bottom. Crazy slick, like freaky slick. Both seem to be durable, but can't really compare as neither of us have had a problem.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts