Trout Spey blank

ryry82

Fish Addict
Hey everyone. I’m looking at getting a trout Spey or switch (don’t understand the difference) rod for lower deschutes trout. I’d like to throw tips and small weighted streamers with a skagit line at the trout and still feel like I’m not overpowering them. My buddy had just started building rods for income so I’d like to find a good blank for this application to give him another order. Any ideas? What grain weight should I be looking for to throw tips and weighted flys on the D without carrying around a steelhead rod?

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

cmann886

If you can find one, get an ARE UHM 3/4 in a 12' blank. Sometimes Robert Meiser and Steve Godshall have good deals on blanks. You can reach out to them. They have top quality blanks.

cal

Ryan Janos

If you can find one, get an ARE UHM 3/4 in a 12' blank. Sometimes Robert Meiser and Steve Godshall have good deals on blanks. You can reach out to them. They have top quality blanks.

cal
Wait... you're telling me there's someone out there selling ARE back stock?!?! I built on the ARE 12'6" 3/4 and it's great as long as you're not trying to throw even moderately weighted bugs. Really a fun rod with a poly leader and an unweighted swinging pattern.

Since ARE's owner passed I've been using the blanks from both GetBent and YeOldeFlyShop on eBay and I've been impressed with the quality at the price point. Trout spey/switch rods don't require a fancy blank to meet my needs.

Old406Kid

There's been several posts on this one.
I haven't personally taken the plunge yet but I'm close.:D

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts