Spey Trout Spey blank

ryry82

Fish Addict
Hey everyone. I’m looking at getting a trout Spey or switch (don’t understand the difference) rod for lower deschutes trout. I’d like to throw tips and small weighted streamers with a skagit line at the trout and still feel like I’m not overpowering them. My buddy had just started building rods for income so I’d like to find a good blank for this application to give him another order. Any ideas? What grain weight should I be looking for to throw tips and weighted flys on the D without carrying around a steelhead rod?

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

cmann886

If you can find one, get an ARE UHM 3/4 in a 12' blank. Sometimes Robert Meiser and Steve Godshall have good deals on blanks. You can reach out to them. They have top quality blanks.

cal

Ryan Janos

If you can find one, get an ARE UHM 3/4 in a 12' blank. Sometimes Robert Meiser and Steve Godshall have good deals on blanks. You can reach out to them. They have top quality blanks.

cal
Wait... you're telling me there's someone out there selling ARE back stock?!?! I built on the ARE 12'6" 3/4 and it's great as long as you're not trying to throw even moderately weighted bugs. Really a fun rod with a poly leader and an unweighted swinging pattern.

Since ARE's owner passed I've been using the blanks from both GetBent and YeOldeFlyShop on eBay and I've been impressed with the quality at the price point. Trout spey/switch rods don't require a fancy blank to meet my needs.

Old406Kid

There's been several posts on this one.
I haven't personally taken the plunge yet but I'm close.:D

Last edited:

tackleman

Just my opinion but the answer is matching line/leader system to your needs. Any blank is capable of a range of casting a load - it will depend on how it’s configured. If the need is to throw a heavy end load, as in a heavy fly, then the line/ leader load leading up to it must support it.
If the total load recommended for the rod won’t support the end load demand, you need to get a blank capable of handling more total load.

ryry82

Fish Addict
Ok. What grain weight is ideal for throwing mini sculpzillas with a sink tip a long ways on the deschutes for 15-20 inch Redband’s without muting the fishes fun? And what blank would that be?

cmann886

I pair my 3/4 ARE 12' UHM with a Rio Scandi Body and replacement tips or a Orvis Bankshot in 7 wt. The smaller sculpzilla is very fishable on either line with or without tips. If anything, this rod will coax you into casting too far for the pleasure of casting and keep you from focusing on catching fish. I have a 3wt. and 5 wt. rods on ACR blanks as well but for what you described long casts and still fun to fight a fish, I would go with the ARE 12' 3/4 or similar blank.

I have found that about 10' of 12 lb Seaguar STS and weighted flies swing plenty deep. Both the Bankshot or the Scandi Body without a tip casts plenty far and turn over the fly with or without tips. One key thing to remember is that if you want to turn over a heavy fly, use a heavier tipit. If you need to due to fish being leader shy, taper the last 12-18 inches down.

I have some other integrated lines in the 240 gr (SA UST) to 270 grain that I occasionally use when I want to strip the fly all the way in but for me they don't perform as well as the other two.

Steve Godshall can find a blank for you that will come close to the ARE in function or an exact duplicate of any ACR blank. I am certain that their are others out there that would be just as nice, but these are what I have experience with.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts