Boats Does the perfect boat exist?

Boats, rafts, float tubes, etc

gt

my goal was a 'fishing machine', no wake boarding or other activities, just blue water fishing in any conditions. i spent about 6 months collecting brochures and detailed specifications from many well know boat builders. i was surprise to learn that balsa wood coring is still in use, not a good thing, penetrate that and dry rot follows. i won't mention which well know boat still is built this way, do your own research.

so after all that collection of data, i settled on a CC to be fabricated out of aluminum with twin outboards. i have had one inboard in the past and was convinced, never again. so another 5 months of travelling from norther CA to southern BC looking for a fabricator who would build to my 4 type written pages of specs. for the most part they all wanted to build what they wanted, not what i specified.

as luck would have it i stumbled onto ALMAR in Tacoma, does not exist any longer, bankrupted by a shady character who cleaned out their bank account. their main business was GSA building with USN certified aluminum welders. they built tanks with style, to last. they looked at my specs and said sure thing. so REELFAST was contracted. after 300 days, this outfit delivered my 30' fishing machine. full electronics and twin Yamaha 150s which were very fuel efficient. after 10 years, i sold her to a died in the wool tuna fisherman. that was the year WDFW offered halibut season of two days. enough was enough, not worth the expense when you can't fish.

she is happy as could be with her new home port of Depot Bay, OR running out for tuna and a pleased new captain. the moral of the story, decide what is most important and find a boat to match your needs, one will not be enough if you keep mixing things into the pudding.

Peyton00

I use 3-4 boats for my basic freshwater needs. If i was a salty guy or had a big family, i could see the need for 1-3 more rigs.

1. I use a 12' or 6' Inflatable for alpine lakes, remote locations and tiny creeks etc.
2. 12' hard body lake boat with a 15hp, electric or oars, depending on lake size and/or restrictions.
3. 16' toon for all rivers big and small with oars, electric or gas options.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
Is there a perfect family/fishing boat?
Yes. Party Barge!!

Can be used to ski/wake/tube with kids
CHECK!
1631895534212.png
Comfortably seat 6+ people
CHECK!
1631895641733.png

also....
Drop into a lake/sound for some salmon trolling or fishing. (No offshore fishing)
CHECK! Added bonus, get one with the slide it makes releasing wild salmon from the top deck a breeze. Just send them down the slide!
1631895773202.png 1631895945762.png

open bow or closed?
Open, of course. How do you party with a closed bow?

inboard/outboard?
Doesn't matter - you're partying. Crank up the Zac Brown and grab a cold one: Adios & vaya con dios

Any thoughts?
Ask yourself this: wouldn't you rather be on a boat with the word "party" literally in it's name?

VMP

Good points about the existence or not of a perfect boat, but how about the perfect towing vehicle for the perfect boat. Case in point the perfect boat/vehicle combo that was touring near Eugene last week, high points for the innovative trailer to vehicle connection. There is news that the boat is available for roadside tours now!
000ce8ff-e04c-47f8-bf4b-4d276db51677-medium16x9_210914carsedanhaulingboat.jpg

https://katu.com/news/local/whose-b...n-towed-by-sedan-now-moored-along-eugene-road

Jeff Dodd

Hey!
Just doing some wondering as a topic with a friend:

Is there a perfect family/fishing boat?

Can be used to ski/wake/tube with kids
Comfortably seat 6+ people
also....
Drop into a lake/sound for some salmon trolling or fishing. (No offshore fishing)

open bow or closed?

inboard/outboard?

Any thoughts?

Do you still have a Weldcraft? I sold mine after 15 years of ownership. Great boat but no longer what I was looking for.

Have you looked at Scout?

Or Wooldridge? Totally custom builds!

Attachments

• 52E0E1A2-9D2D-4036-BAD4-508C8900DB43.jpeg
    52E0E1A2-9D2D-4036-BAD4-508C8900DB43.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 10

JesseC

I have a Grady White 209 Fisherman - it’s a center console. I toss boat bean bags in there when it’s a family day. Works out great for me.

I think the Grady freedom series would be ideal if you’re going to do mostly family / lake stuff. Center console Fisherman if you’re into more open space for activities. Robalo makes similar models.

I’m not a fan of Boston whalers. My 240 outrage rode like shit compared to the smaller Grady. The “unsinkable” foam in the whalers is grrrrrreat, until they inevitably get water logged and end up getting heavier…..and heavier…….and heavier…..

I would not go with a water cooled inboard in you are planning on taking it in the salt. You may get away with it for a couple years, but it’s going to break your heart hard.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts