Starter combo for 7yro

wanderingrichard

My daughter was watching me practice casting a few days ago and got really interested, though she didn't show it at the time.
She asked me this morning is she could have her own fly rod, which kind of left me surprised and happy at the same time.

I started at age 11 with a hand me down bamboo 9 footer and not a lot of instructions or help. (yeah I wish I had rod and reel back in my possession).

So, I'm asking the general membership for suggestions on a kid friendly freshwater combo as shes afraid to go near the ocean right now.

mcswny

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. My kid is still a ways away from "actually" using a fly rod (shes 3.5)--but shes mighty interested.

For a real rod/reel combo, you can't beat the echo gecko. BUT. I was wondering if a tenkara could be an option? Let them work on casting without having to deal with the extra line? I don't know if it will help or hurt in the long run, but its definitely simpler.

TMcSweeney_CO-2.jpg

Reactions: VMP

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Have you considered a 3 or 4 weight that is shorter in length that could also fill in a 'hole ' in your quiver? Fiberglass maybe.. I find a moderate action is more forgiving for beginners...

Last edited:

CreekScrambler

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. My kid is still a ways away from "actually" using a fly rod (shes 3.5)--but shes mighty interested.

For a real rod/reel combo, you can't beat the echo gecko. BUT. I was wondering if a tenkara could be an option? Let them work on casting without having to deal with the extra line? I don't know if it will help or hurt in the long run, but its definitely simpler.

View attachment 295145
That’s a great photo. EZ tenkara would be a 3wt with a parachute Adams or a Royal Coachman on a creek.

Reactions: CYG

wanderingrichard

Yeah I'm not going for a 5 wt or higher here. i think a 4 wt around 7-8 feet would be pushing it. While she's tall for her age, she's got the ballerina build from years of dance.

Kiddo is geared towards panfish and pellet fed zonker trout.. tried src and coho two years ago and zero interest...

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
I started my 3yo with a 10’ 3wt, then got him an Echo Gecko. He got a lot better a lot faster with that rod. Something about the length and fiberglass action seems to fit learners well (and it’s still a good rod).

Now (almost 6), though, he uses other rods and the gecko gathers dust.

I’ll ask him today if he’s willing to let another kid use it, and if so I’ll send it on to you.

As an aside, he took to contact nymphing like he’d been doing it his entire life, and absolutely loves it. High frequency and numbers of fish, easy and shorter casting—perfect for any kid.

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
Both of my girls first used one of these: https://www.eagleclaw.com/eagle-claw-featherlight-rods

I put a 5wt nymph taper on a medalist, and let them have at it. They are tough rods I can vouch for that. At 7’ long they are comfortable for the youngest kids and cheap enough not to worry about accidents. But to be honest, I don’t think short rods offer much of an advantage for kids after they spend a little time using one. They pick it up fast, IF they are interested in doing so.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Premium
For a real rod/reel combo, you can't beat the echo gecko. BUT. I was wondering if a tenkara could be an option?
T-rod's a possibility in the right places. Pros: inexpensive, uses flies, lightweight, simplified line management, easy to cast short distance, no mending, catches fish. Skills = reading water, stealth, situational awareness (obstacles i.e. tree branches), casting accuracy, drift control, fly manipulation, strike detection, playing and landing fish.
Cons: for youngsters short fishing distance often requires wading into position to reach fish, fragile tip - don't free a fly by pulling with the rod.

wanderingrichard

Wow, thanks guys. You've addressed some things i hadn't thought of.

Jake, sounds great. I'll double check with her to make sure she's actually going to do this before i commit. Also know it depends on what your son says... good either way...

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts