Do you wax your rod….

Rob Allen

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes...."
" only imperial storm troopers are so precise "

This shows two things.
1. Jedi use absolutes
2. They are wrong and or lie
Or
Star wars quotes aren't worth a darn for real life...

Yes starwars is made up.. just like the moon landings.. Everyone knows we skipped the moon and went straight for LV 426!

Last edited:

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
Since this thread is getting into movie territory, I am partial to Mr. Miyagi's approach to this whole waxing thing...
I give my rods that treatment a couple times a year, the same mothers product I use on the MG, but not in the ferrule area.

Last edited:

jasmillo

WFF Premium
Maintenance directions on some of the best fly rods made on the planet earth
earth
earth..
Although I have never done the furniture polishing.

This is all fine and dandy but I’m a fisherman, using a tool. Is Sage making tools for fisherman or works of art for the wall? I put less maintenance into my house or car than that list. Christ, I put less maintenance into myself than that list :).

Hmm….sorry. 3 Sage rods so far this year broken due to this issue. Different models (Ignitor, One and Maverick). Two while casting. One fighting a foul hooked coho but the same deal - loose connection putting to much pressure on the male end of the butt section. I check my rods regularly when casting. I notice when casts seem off….usually. Not always though, obviously. I have to agree with @mtskibum16 that it is likely a manufacturing issue. Sage is the only company I’ve had this issue with. That said, I’ve fished salmon with Sage rods ~ 80% of the time.

Luckily I’m local, so less of a hassle to get rods fixed when this happens. Well, not so much now. I still cannot drop them off directly and it still takes forever with covid to get rods back (understandable all things considered).

Thanks to all that have replied. Some good things to try out here! Next year, I’d love to fish a full MA 9 season without having to get down to my 3rd backup rod :).

Porter

I don’t disagree, just listing care and maintenance recommended by mfg’er. Question was wax or no wax I thought. Sage recommends it periodically. That’s all.

jasmillo

WFF Premium
I don’t disagree, just listing care and maintenance recommended by mfg’er. Question was wax or no wax I thought. Sage recommends it periodically. That’s all.

I hear you 100%. Interesting to hear the differing opinions from fisherman and even those that have worked in the industry. I appreciate the list though. I had not found that. Now if I do decide to use wax, I’ll know they won’t use it against me if I send a rod back for repair.

Rob Allen

I hear you 100%. Interesting to hear the differing opinions from fisherman and even those that have worked in the industry. I appreciate the list though. I had not found that. Now if I do decide to use wax, I’ll know they won’t use it against me if I send a rod back for repair.
Just make sure the rod ferrules the same depth after waxing .

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts