FedEx....ugh!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Premium
Sunday I ordered a 32 oz RTIC Bottle that was shipped FedEx and is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Then this thread popped up. The tracker indicates it didn’t leave the Houston TX vicinity until yesterday. While it seems inefficient, it probably is pretty good for "standard shipping". Hoping for the best...
My order wasn't delivered on the day scheduled
1631980195000.png
1631980213398.png
Now just Hoping...
Everyone I've ever talked to about fedex who lives in the Willamette valley has had a package sit at the troutdale sorting facility for a week before being sent somewhere else further away.
"In transit" for 12 hours... That must be a BIG conveyer in the Troutdale facility.
I am imagining a ginormous carousel with our packages going round & round :mad:
Their tracking website is no help at all.
Fed ex sucks huge... I try to avoid using any courier but especially Fed ex. I use USPS or I do not order.
I'll remember this, and hope companies I order from specify the carriers they use for each "level" of shipping so I have a choice.

Jerry Daschofsky

Will Fish for Cinnamon Rolls and Coffee.
My order wasn't delivered on the day scheduled
View attachment 295597
View attachment 295598
Now just Hoping...

"In transit" for 12 hours... That must be a BIG conveyer in the Troutdale facility.
I am imagining a ginormous carousel with our packages going round & round :mad:
Their tracking website is no help at all.

I'll remember this, and hope companies I order from specify the carriers they use for each "level" of shipping so I have a choice.
In transit means to the destination on scan. What's probably going on is they have too many trailers and not enough tractors to pull them. So they stock pile in a yard and are pulled in little by little destination. I'm not as fluent on FedEx vs UPS, of course, but when you see an "in building" scan and/or "out for delivery" scan then you know it's actually at their facility.

You would be surprised how often I hear "I should have another package, it says it was out for delivery this morning". Most people misread the tracking. I'll have them pull it up for me really quick and I'll have to explain that their package isn't there yet.
Screenshot_20210918-105941_Chrome.jpg

I took a screen shot of a recent delivery I had to get proper FedEx terminology.

So when you see "at local FedEx facility" or "on FedEx vehicle for delivery" then you're good to go.

Jerry Daschofsky

I should be more clear on the stock yard. A delivery building can only handle so many packages per day. If they get too many trailers they have to divert to the stock yard. Then those have priority for the next days unload. Say they're getting 30 53' trailers a day. But can only process 26 a shift. 4 go to stock yard. Next f day they get 30 more plus 4. That means 8 of the new ones go to stock yard. Next day they get 36 new trailers. 18 new trailers go to stock yard. Etc. Not having enough vehicles and drivers, plus the facility to handle it, they easily get behind. Even UPS had facilities in huge cities in California and NY that were backlogged for weeks when Covid Peak, as we called it, exploded in March 2020. UPS at least started flying supervisors in from around the country to get the backlog cleaned up. They were renting everything they could to do it, including actual people vans. Once they caught up an area they jumped to next and did same thing. Took a few weeks but got our complete system moving.

Unfortunately with FedEx Ground they are all independent. There's not a corporate running them all. So you don't have someone up the command chain making decisions. You have independent route owners and they have their subcontracted drivers working for them. Makes a kink in system when other facilities need help.

Krusty

Outta Here
One thing I noticed is that it was common for fedex to note in their tracking page that their label was damaged and had to be replaced numerous times as my four heavy crates moved randomly about the the US. Upon the eventual arrival of my shipment I was amazed that they depended upon the continued integrity of a single label that had obviously been scooted across all sorts of surfaces.

I've heard that fedex has large volumes of packages for which they cannot determine sender or recipient information. Perhaps this is an urban legend, but it's not hard to believe.

Jerry Daschofsky

One thing I noticed is that it was common for fedex to note in their tracking page that their label was damaged and had to be replaced numerous times as my four heavy crates moved randomly about the the US. Upon the eventual arrival of my shipment I was amazed that they depended upon the continued integrity of a single label that had obviously been scooted across all sorts of surfaces.

I've heard that fedex has large volumes of packages for which they cannot determine sender or recipient information. Perhaps this is an urban legend, but it's not hard to believe.
It's not an urban legend, it's definitely true. Even UPS has a warehouse where packages with lost labels go and eventually sold. We call it overgoods. Usually it's mostly things that have fallen out of packages, but we do have packages with missing labels, no invoice, and no documentation inside. Why I always tell customers to toss a second label inside.

cdnred

It's not an urban legend, it's definitely true. Even UPS has a warehouse where packages with lost labels go and eventually sold. We call it overgoods. Usually it's mostly things that have fallen out of packages, but we do have packages with missing labels, no invoice, and no documentation inside. Why I always tell customers to toss a second label inside.
Putting added documentation inside the package is a good idea. A better approach would be to just put more labels around the package on different sides. That's especially true for heavier and bulkier packages where it's prone that a label will get pulled off as it shoved across the floor or conveyor belt. With only one label on a larger package, the odds are that should the one label come off recovery is doubtful..

Krusty

Outta Here
Putting added documentation inside the package is a good idea. A better approach would be to just put more labels around the package on different sides. That's especially true for heavier and bulkier packages where it's prone that a label will get pulled off as it shoved across the floor or conveyor belt. With only one label on a larger package, the odds are that should the one label come off recovery is doubtful..
Probably the main reason my packages eventually made it to me was the multiple destination markings the cabinet maker wrote in sharpie on all sides of the crates....that and the fact he packed everything up so securely. And if, for some reason the crates were opened, there was plenty of internal documentation.

Jerry Daschofsky

Yes, and thought I had put that, but multiple labels as well.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts