Tenkara Line questions

MikeCourtney

Ok, Tenkara anglers, I have questions about Tenkara lines.

I purchased a 12' Sawtooth rod from Tenkaka Rod as a gift for my wife. She's learning to fish and the idea of simplicity, good tool for learning to cast, no line management and a rod she could take hiking was appealing to me.

The rod came with a braided line (which I attached a tippet to the tippet ring on the braided line) which when cast and in the water, slowly sinks, seems almost like an intermediate fly line. Not so good with the dry dropper set up we we've been using recently or as an easy to cast learning tool. A floating line is easier to learn on.

-I'm thinking I'll add add gel to the line to get it to float. Has anyone tried this, and how did it work?
-Am I missing something here? I understand some folks use the rod like an euro nymphing rod, and keep the fly line off the water. Is that the intention with the braided line-not floating?
-Is there another floating line you're using you'd recommend? One source recommended using the non-tapered portion of an old 3wt fly line.
-I understand some folks use monofilament instead of the braided line when nymphing. What's your experience with this and can you recommend a weight/diameter?
-I sent an email to manufacturer for guidance, am still waiting for a reply.

Thanks,
Mike

Sidg

Ok, Tenkara anglers, I have questions about Tenkara lines.

I purchased a 12' Sawtooth rod from Tenkaka Rod as a gift for my wife. She's learning to fish and the idea of simplicity, good tool for learning to cast, no line management and a rod she could take hiking was appealing to me.

The rod came with a braided line (which I attached a tippet to the tippet ring on the braided line) which when cast and in the water, slowly sinks, seems almost like an intermediate fly line. Not so good with the dry dropper set up we we've been using recently or as an easy to cast learning tool. A floating line is easier to learn on.

-I'm thinking I'll add add gel to the line to get it to float. Has anyone tried this, and how did it work?
-Am I missing something here? I understand some folks use the rod like an euro nymphing rod, and keep the fly line off the water. Is that the intention with the braided line-not floating?
-Is there another floating line you're using you'd recommend? One source recommended using the non-tapered portion of an old 3wt fly line.
-I understand some folks use monofilament instead of the braided line when nymphing. What's your experience with this and can you recommend a weight/diameter?
-I sent an email to manufacturer for guidance, am still waiting for a reply.

Thanks,
Mike
A floating level line for Tenkara from my Tenkara days. They are supposed to float like regular floating line. Got it and never used it.
Its your if you want. :)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 3

Jack MeHoff

I use long furled leaders made for tenkara that I bought on the auction site. I dress them with Burt's bee lip balm to insure they float. No reason to get fancy, that bee balm works on lips ,zippers & everything else in between.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts