Rainfall this weekend

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Premium
What site/app is that with the "too low/low/high" highlights? That looks wonderfully handy
It has a master SITES tab with a list of all USGS & AHPS gauge sites by state. I can look at a site page, and designate it as a favorite to put it on the FAVORITES tab
The Advanced Hydrological Prediction Service sites provide the previous 48 hour gauge readings plus a prediction for the next 96 hours.
The app retrieves and allows me to store both CFS and Gauge Height level tables on the FAVORITES tab.
The app also allows me to "Edit Destination" of sites on the FAVORITES tab to put in levels I choose for designating Too High - High - Medium...
I have a "method" of using the USGS Water Data historical data over a 3 year period to enter the levels that gets me in the ballpark, then use my fishing log notes & word of mouth reports including opinions I've read on WFF and my own ongoing observations to tweak the level entries that create the colored level graphics.

Last edited:

SilverFly

I am under the impression that we are not allowed to target salmon in rivers unless explicitly stated

Most SWW rivers are open.

Unfortunately yesterday's chinook traffic jam appears to have passed. Caught a few pics though.
Not really worried about hot-spotting. I've been fishing this stretch for close to 40 years and rarely see anyone else. Possibly due to this one being a bit gnarlier than most - which is why I fish tuna rods here. Sort of a "WWE" version of fly fishing ;) . Not that a specific spot really matters when targeting salmon on the move after a rain. There are literally miles of fishable, "post-rain" pocket water. Pick a spot and wait for the fish to come to you.

"600 Grain Slot"
20210920_115638.jpg

It's been a few years. I'd forgotten just how strong chinook are. Couldn't stop a fish yesterday running upriver through this shit - even with a 12wt and 25# tippet.
20210920_115712.jpg

Odds of landing a downriver fish are even lower...
20210920_115749.jpg

Next rain...

Last edited:

speedbird49

Most SWW rivers are open.

Unfortunately yesterday's chinook traffic jam appears to have passed. Caught a few pics though.
Not really worried about hot-spotting. I've been fishing this stretch for close to 40 years and rarely see anyone else. Possibly due to this one being a bit gnarlier than most - which is why I fish tuna rods here. Sort of a "WWE" version of fly fishing ;) . Not that a specific spot really matters when targeting salmon on the move after a rain. There are literally miles of fishable, "post-rain" pocket water. Pick a spot and wait for the fish to come to you.

"600 Grain Slot"
View attachment 295813

It's been a few years. I'd forgotten just how strong chinook are. Couldn't stop a fish yesterday running upriver through this shit - even with a 12wt and 25# tippet.
View attachment 295814

Odds of landing a downriver fish are even lower...
View attachment 295812
I have no problem with people ethically catching and releasing any fish at any time, but looking in the regs for both Stilly forks and the mainstem, there is no mention of a salmon season, only a game fish season, and salmon are considered food fish rather than game fish. This is what we were all chewing the Addicted Fishing crew out for on another thread over here. Am I missing something? If I am please do let me know as I would love to get out there

SilverFly

I have no problem with people ethically catching and releasing any fish at any time, but looking in the regs for both Stilly forks and the mainstem, there is no mention of a salmon season, only a game fish season, and salmon are considered food fish rather than game fish. This is what we were all chewing the Addicted Fishing crew out for on another thread over here. Am I missing something? If I am please do let me know as I would love to get out there
All I know is the local rivers around here in SWW are open for chinook and coho salmon. We have our share of closures and poor returns down here as well, but I feel for you guys who fish PS rivers.

Jaybird

"All species" seems pretty cut and dry to me. That said, I know we are supposed to ha e a PhD to read the regs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210920-153603_Fish Washington.jpg
    Screenshot_20210920-153603_Fish Washington.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 6

Shad

The unspoken deal is that you are allowed to fish in any water that is open. Just have a good answer ready if you get asked what you're fishing for (steelhead works almost anywhere). If you catch a "non-target" species, you handle it carefully and release it (often with a big, shit-eating grin on your mug). Resist the temptation to seek Instagram glory like the Addicted guys you referenced and you and the fish should come out no worse for the wear. It's also good form to fish barbless and at least convince yourself you're targeting cutts and steelhead, even if those damned salmon keep spoiling your day by eating your flies.

I have one such fishery I like to do this time of year. The honest target is searun cutts, but darned if those pesky salmon jacks (and even the occasional adult) don't bite my fly, almost as often. Heck, a few years back, I actually caught a summer run there, so yeah, it's a legit place to target "game fish."

Incidentally, does any freshwater fish fight as hard as a jack coho? They're harder to keep hooked than the adults for my money. Thankfully, they're also insanely aggressive. I had what I'm pretty sure was the same fish eat six times before I finally sealed the deal last week. Awesome quarry on a 6-wt....

Finally, I can confirm the OP rivers spiked over the weekend. Unfortunately, I timed it wrong (maybe early?), so I can't confirm it moved fish, but I strongly suspect it did. This week is probably going to be pretty good up there. Bonus: The rivers there are open for salmon, so there is no ethical dilemma!

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
SilverFly isn’t fishing the stilly.

You are right, the Stilly is not open to target or retain salmon, but it is open to target SRC and steelhead which is what the vast majority seem to be doing since it opened. You are very safe ethically and legally fishing for either SRC or steelhead, and if a pink or coho grabs onto your barbless fly so be it. Just don’t start filming a video with drones as you cast pink flies into the pools of rolling salmon and you’ll be just fine.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Premium
just remember play around with the rules & they shut the river down the next year for everything.
I seriously doubt if anyone with the authority to do that is even paying attention. WDFW has done their job with satisfying the tribe's wants and has moved on to the next placating chore.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts