Montana Bound - Looking for some advice

BooRadley

Hi All,

Been a lurker (hence my screen name...) for a while. Quick intro - been fly fishing off and on since I was about 12. Husband, father, grandfather. Info Tech guy by day for the City of Seattle and Seattle Police Department.

Later this month I'll be taking my dad back to Montana to see the few of his siblings that are left, he's one of 9 (only 4 of them left) and the oldest one still with us at 83. I haven't been back there for pretty close to 20 years so I'm looking forward to it. We're going to be in the Kalispell, Whitefish (where I was born) and Columbia Falls area for about 3 days Set 22- 26.

I plan to spend most of my time on the Middle Fork of the Flathead River from Hungry Horse up to around Blankenship Bridge. Just looking for some general tips on what flies I should be bringing or tying to use this time of year etc... I'm also thinking about throwing my pontoon boat in the truck and bringing it along so if there any lakes you think might be worth a try I'm game for that too.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

funfisher

Fish On!
Hi All,

Been a lurker (hence my screen name...) for a while. Quick intro - been fly fishing off and on since I was about 12. Husband, father, grandfather. Info Tech guy by day for the City of Seattle and Seattle Police Department.

Later this month I'll be taking my dad back to Montana to see the few of his siblings that are left, he's one of 9 (only 4 of them left) and the oldest one still with us at 83. I haven't been back there for pretty close to 20 years so I'm looking forward to it. We're going to be in the Kalispell, Whitefish (where I was born) and Columbia Falls area for about 3 days Set 22- 26.

I plan to spend most of my time on the Middle Fork of the Flathead River from Hungry Horse up to around Blankenship Bridge. Just looking for some general tips on what flies I should be bringing or tying to use this time of year etc... I'm also thinking about throwing my pontoon boat in the truck and bringing it along so if there any lakes you think might be worth a try I'm game for that too.

Thanks in advance,

Brad
Hi Brad,
I just spent last week 20 miles into the Bob Marshall Wilderness fishing the SF Flathead R. Some flies that worked were #12 yellow PMX with a VERY small flying ant dropper, Royal Wulff, beetles, and green Klinkhammers. The fish were hungry. By the way, I was also born in Whitefish, just a long time before you.

Old Man

A very Old Man
I've been here in Montana for about 15 years now. Mostly in the Dillon and Twin bridges area. I don't know about that area, but I would try a few Hopper patterns. And as dry flies go I would stay small. size 16 to 22. And maybe a few zebra nymphs'.

I live in Butte now, the most fly less area in Montana. It's a long way to any place that has fish in it.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts