NFR 2021 Ryder Cup Thread

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I used to despise Poulter, because he turned the tables on the USA fans “ultra nationalistic” idea of what the Ryders Cup is about. He’s actually a really good guy and the players like him. Reed is a dickhead, and always will be. Why would Americans think we should always win the Ryders Cup? GB & Europe has soccer, tennis and some hockey. US has BB, FB and everything else under the sun. Talent pool is greatly diminished. I hope we win, but the idiots chant of “USA” over every putt is an embarrassment because they don’t get it.
I don't believe there are many folks who think the US "should always win". More talented overall, sure, but that doesn't always mean you're going to win the next tournament. Golf is such a crazy sport at the professional level...post Tiger, the difference between the #1 player in the world and #200 in the world over 18 holes really isn't that much. Over a season (100+ rounds) it's obviously significant, but in any given round (and sometimes just ~14 holes) it's quite small, which is why the Ryder cup is much more of a toss up than what the world rankings of the individuals on each team would imply. The annual WGC match play tournament has only been won by the #1 seed three times in the last 16 events (before that, Tiger was....well, Tiger). The finals in the last three events were between seeds 32 v 34, 48 v 50, and 35 v 39. Point being, all these guys are so damn good, but few/nobody is dominant (again, excluding Tiger). The worst player on either of these teams could easily beat the best player on the other team in a match.

The biggest advantage is course setup and tailoring it to each team. If they set up the course near 8k yards, water the hell out of it, and put the flags in the center of the green the US has a massive advantage....just how the EU squad had a similar advantage with the setup in Paris last time.

Sportsman

I don't believe there are many folks who think the US "should always win". More talented overall, sure, but that doesn't always mean you're going to win the next tournament. Golf is such a crazy sport at the professional level...post Tiger, the difference between the #1 player in the world and #200 in the world over 18 holes really isn't that much. Over a season (100+ rounds) it's obviously significant, but in any given round (and sometimes just ~14 holes) it's quite small, which is why the Ryder cup is much more of a toss up than what the world rankings of the individuals on each team would imply. The annual WGC match play tournament has only been won by the #1 seed three times in the last 16 events (before that, Tiger was....well, Tiger). The finals in the last three events were between seeds 32 v 34, 48 v 50, and 35 v 39. Point being, all these guys are so damn good, but few/nobody is dominant (again, excluding Tiger). The worst player on either of these teams could easily beat the best player on the other team in a match.

The biggest advantage is course setup and tailoring it to each team. If they set up the course near 8k yards, water the hell out of it, and put the flags in the center of the green the US has a massive advantage....just how the EU squad had a similar advantage with the setup in Paris last time.
1. First sentence: you’re wrong. 2. We know you really miss tiger and his 13-17-3 RC record. 3. Who would win at the Greenlake pitch and putt course? I spent all my paper route money there.

Peyton00

I want to see amazing golf shots and great pairings.

I agree with GOTY.....not everyone is riding team usa to glory.

Its a sport, nothing more.

O' Clarkii Stomias

I used to despise Poulter, because he turned the tables on the USA fans “ultra nationalistic” idea of what the Ryders Cup is about. He’s actually a really good guy and the players like him. Reed is a dickhead, and always will be. Why would Americans think we should always win the Ryders Cup? GB & Europe has soccer, tennis and some hockey. US has BB, FB and everything else under the sun. Talent pool is greatly diminished. I hope we win, but the idiots chant of “USA” over every putt is an embarrassment because they don’t get it.
Sergio is a dickhead too, but he, like Reed win Ryder cup matches.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts