emergency closure sol duc

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
It seems to be happening all over. Earlier this month they closed all our local rivers to steelhead fishing this winter.

dustinchromers

Reason for action: The opening of fisheries on the Quillayute and Sol Duc rivers was delayed to protect wild summer coho expected to return at an abundance of less than 300 adults. The Quillayute watershed has been experiencing record low flows and increased caution was needed to reduce impact from fisheries as coho stage in the lower river. There is rain in the forecast over the weekend and river levels are expected to rise enough to draw coho upriver from staging areas in the lower river.

Additional information: The Quileute Tribe will also be reopening fisheries on Monday. Please note that the Quillayute River is closed Mondays and Tuesdays in September to avoid gear conflicts with tribal net fisheries. The tribe will also be fishing in the Quillayute River on Wednesdays in September. Please be respectful of tribal fishermen exercising treaty rights.

Posted without comment for context.

Thomas Mitchell

corvus ossifragus
WFF Premium
I'm glad they were willing to keep it closed as long as it was for the nets too. A few years ago when we were in a similar low water situation and everything was kegged up in the lower river, they got hoovered up in the nets.

Makes sense to reopen though - It is frickin pouring here so I'm not sure tomorrow would be a lot of fun anyway. River was coming up fast at dusk.

Old Man

A very Old Man
It won't be too long till they shut down the Rivers in your state from Jan 1st to Dec 31. And then all you get to fish are the planted lakes with the 6" fish in them.. And then they will raise the price of a fishing license. I'm really glad I don't live there anymore.

sroffe

It won't be too long till they shut down the Rivers in your state from Jan 1st to Dec 31. And then all you get to fish are the planted lakes with the 6" fish in them.. And then they will raise the price of a fishing license. I'm really glad I don't live there anymore.
Well, I am glad I have other hobbies that I enjoy doing. I actually wonder about selling off my fishing gear before it's to late and taking up bird watching or something like that.

Tobe Hagge

WFF Premium
I visited the mouth of the Sol Duc in late August. If portaging counts as navigation then I guess it was navigable.

fishingthendgame

The sol duc went up by 7 feet over night. I didn't fish it but it wasn't fishable anyway. Whole river was flooded. All the rivers were blown out but I think now is a perfect time to fish em.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts