chris stiemert

WFF Premium
These photos don't bother me one little bit from a conservation perspective and I have no fear for the fishes survival..
Not my style but in no way bad.

Study after study shows that the causes for post release morality is almost always hook related injury causing blood loss..
I’m not an expert, and won’t pretend to be one -
But was under the impression that the science was pretty solid that hoisting fish way out of water wasn’t good for them. If it’s true and you can keep them out of water with no impact then I will cancel my troll campaign.

Rob Allen

But was under the impression that the science was pretty solid that hoisting fish way out of water wasn’t good for them. If it’s true and you can keep them out of water with no impact then I will cancel my troll campaign.
I didn't say it was good for them but people have been taking pictures just like that for 70 years and it has had no impact on our fisheries.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
honestly, I'd be more concerned with the death grip on that fish's vital organs. Every other pic shows him gripping that region really tight. I suppose it probably keeps them from squirming too much if you stop their heart so they don't get injured elsewhere.... :rolleyes:

Matt B

WFF Premium
For most of the photos you are trolling folks over, if you want to achieve an outcome that has some likelihood of actually benefitting fish, I believe your energies would be better directed in the manner I suggested. I am not too worried about that last fish. I also don’t think you are likely to get people to change their thinking in this way. It is obviously annoying to you that folks are misusing or misinterpreting #keepemwet, but I don’t think that last one is an example of that. Probably better to chill on the photo policing and work to protect habitat and preserve access. Cheers.

vader

I like this one. Composition is almost professional. Net placement and background colours compliment the fish and balance the image. I just can't take my eyes off the fact she is choking that fish to death. Look at that thing. It's literally being strangled and you guys aren't even noticing. And I also think she may be in her underwear.
There was a fish in the picture?

chris stiemert

WFF Premium
For most of the photos you are trolling folks over, if you want to achieve an outcome that has some likelihood of actually benefitting fish, I believe your energies would be better directed in the manner I suggested. I am not too worried about that last fish. I also don’t think you are likely to get people to change their thinking in this way. It is obviously annoying to you that folks are misusing or misinterpreting #keepemwet, but I don’t think that last one is an example of that. Probably better to chill on the photo policing and work to protect habitat and preserve access. Cheers.
I actually disagree - I think the people posting these types of photos are also more likely to treat the fish poorly in every other way - and if there were a decent amount of people calling them out I think they’d take notice. I’m not disillusioned to think I’m going to change the world on Instagram- but it’s frustrating when they hoist them 10 feet out of the water and tag keepemwet and there is nothing but a bunch of “sick fish bruh” posts in reply. I too used to treat fish poorly and I wish someone would have said something to me because I really didn’t know any better. I am almost 100% certain that I killed a 20” fish on the cedar in 2015, and it probably would have been fine if I would have quickly released it, but I had to get that amazing photo to show everyone how cool I was, and that fish swam away, but doubt it lived. I was alone and spent the better part of a minute on a hot day taking the fly out and then positioning it perfectly. If someone would have roasted me online with that photo it would have been a “oh shit” moment for me. And yes, there’s a million other things we can all be doing to help fish, and I don’t spend all my waking hours trolling the gram and doing nothing else. Your comment about planting a tree for every 10 insta trolls is a bit of the “what about” argument. I think the fishing culture in Instagram is ugly and I do think more people could point out poor fish handling.

Rob Allen

The most objectionable thing about this issue is that people think they have the right to an opinion about what other people legally do.

Fly fishing and the world in general would be best served by people minding their own business. And no, how other people legally catch and release fish is none of anyone else's business even if they post pictures bragging about it.

chris stiemert

WFF Premium
The most objectionable thing about this issue is that people think they have the right to an opinion about what other people legally do.

Fly fishing and the world in general would be best served by people minding their own business. And no, how other people legally catch and release fish is none of anyone else's business even if they post pictures bragging about it.
I couldn’t disagree with you more Rob. I think if we are going to help our fisheries we should put pressure on everyone and everything, even if legal. I respect your opinion, just disagree with you.

Matt B

WFF Premium
I actually disagree - I think the people posting these types of photos are also more likely to treat the fish poorly in every other way - and if there were a decent amount of people calling them out I think they’d take notice. I’m not disillusioned to think I’m going to change the world on Instagram- but it’s frustrating when they hoist them 10 feet out of the water and tag keepemwet and there is nothing but a bunch of “sick fish bruh” posts in reply. I too used to treat fish poorly and I wish someone would have said something to me because I really didn’t know any better. I am almost 100% certain that I killed a 20” fish on the cedar in 2015, and it probably would have been fine if I would have quickly released it, but I had to get that amazing photo to show everyone how cool I was, and that fish swam away, but doubt it lived. I was alone and spent the better part of a minute on a hot day taking the fly out and then positioning it perfectly. If someone would have roasted me online with that photo it would have been a “oh shit” moment for me. And yes, there’s a million other things we can all be doing to help fish, and I don’t spend all my waking hours trolling the gram and doing nothing else. Your comment about planting a tree for every 10 insta trolls is a bit of the “what about” argument. I think the fishing culture in Instagram is ugly and I do think more people could point out poor fish handling.
It is a little bit of what-aboutism. I will give you that. But I think it is justified what-aboutism, because the whole point is to try to help you consider directing your energy where it could make a difference. I guess we have to agree to disagree if you think your insta-efforts, and the perplexing re-posts here, make as much or more difference as actual habitat work, or preserving access for current and future advocates.
Can you please explain how the WFF re-posts are helping the cause?

Swimmy

Umm, yeah I'm going to disagree with the highlighted above.

The moment you publish content for the masses you should expect a certain level of scrutiny. If you use a hash tag #keepemwet while holding a fish 4' out of water then you should be called out. That is the unspoken contract with social media.

If you don't like it, don't share your life on social media framed with stupid hashtags.

Rob Allen

Umm, yeah I'm going to disagree with the highlighted above.

The moment you publish content for the masses you should expect a certain level of scrutiny. If you use a hash tag #keepemwet while holding a fish 4' out of water then you should be called out. That is the unspoken contract with social media.

If you don't like it, don't share your life on social media framed with stupid hashtags.

I guess social media brings out the worst in people then.

Salmo_g

WFF Premium
I like this one. Composition is almost professional. Net placement and background colours compliment the fish and balance the image. I just can't take my eyes off the fact she is choking that fish to death. Look at that thing. It's literally being strangled and you guys aren't even noticing. And I also think she may be in her underwear.
Tube top.

And yes, she is killing that fish.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts