Hardy LRH or other ‘traditional’?

Tim Ihle

Who here fishes Hardy LRH reel. Looking for recommendations for something light weight for a 5wt dry fly rod.

Last edited:

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
They are great reels! I use several for bamboo and fiberglass, they’d also be awesome for graphite rods sub 9’ being 3 1/8” in diameter.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
I agree with Rob, the Princess is the next up in size or a LRH could also work. As far a line/backing capacity, are you using this in lakes or rivers? Most trout rarely see backing......the LRH is one of my favorite Hardys.
The Japanese clones are less expensive and another way to go.....I also have several of those.

Tim Ihle

Will be pairing with Winston B2t 5wt which is a very light rod. Primary use will be dry flies from a boat and on foot. Probably the Princess would be the best as it will keep the outfit light weight.

Last edited:

David Loy

Senior Moment
I fished an LRH on a sage 5wt for many years, but have since relegated it to 4wts. It holds plenty of backing with a WF 5 (& just enough with a DT 5), but it’s pretty light. I’m now using a Princess on my 5 wts.
If you’re in the Seattle area I could meet you so you could check the balance out for yourself. Both will work.

Jack Devlin

The Hardy Lightweight series are wonderful reels. I wish Hardy hadn't ceased production. A wonderfully appropriate reel. As David mentioned, see which balances your rod best, either the Princess or the LRH.

Last edited:

Tim Ihle

I fished an LRH on a sage 5wt for many years, but have since relegated it to 4wts. It holds plenty of backing with a WF 5 (& just enough with a DT 5), but it’s pretty light. I’m now using a Princess on my 5 wts.
If you’re in the Seattle area I could meet you so you could check the balance out for yourself. Both will work.
I live in Camas otherwise I meet up and take a look

Bucktrout

I live in Camas otherwise I meet up and take a look
I have both Princess and LRH reels. Currently have three 5 weight rods set up with LRH reels plus 3 extra spools with various sink rate lines. In the past when I fished Douglas Lake Ranch (100 plus days) I used the Princess reels, I needed the backing capacity for those fish. I also used the Princess for summer steelhead on the Deschutes with a Sage 6 weight graphite 2 rod. I will be selling 2 Princess reels and 3 extra spools when I get back home(Olympia).
Unless you need the backing capacity I would vote for the LRH. I have my reels on an old Orvis Henry's Fork, a Sage 590-4 G3 and a Loomis GL2.

Jack MeHoff

I fish a bunch of Sharpes of Aberdeen, Gordon fly reels. simple click & pawl reels that can be bought on the used market reasonably priced .

moon1284

The lrh will probably be fine with wf line. I use dt so I'd go for a princess.

It will look big, but if you use your entire fly line you won't have to deal with memory issues in the last 30 or 35 feet of your line.

I use sage 505s with dt6f line and I wouldn't go any smaller (dt6f is pushing it). 506s are better but I only use them on rods that are a little heavier.

David Loy

Senior Moment
I have both Princess and LRH reels. Currently have three 5 weight rods set up with LRH reels plus 3 extra spools with various sink rate lines. In the past when I fished Douglas Lake Ranch (100 plus days) I used the Princess reels, I needed the backing capacity for those fish. I also used the Princess for summer steelhead on the Deschutes with a Sage 6 weight graphite 2 rod. I will be selling 2 Princess reels and 3 extra spools when I get back home(Olympia).
Unless you need the backing capacity I would vote for the LRH. I have my reels on an old Orvis Henry's Fork, a Sage 590-4 G3 and a Loomis GL2.
Bucktrout
I’d be interested in another Princess when you get around to it. Pic and price would be nice.
Thanks

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info