Adjustable dry dropper rig?

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
If you value your sanity, skip forward to about 15 minutes.

This rig isn't good, IMO. I could cut my line and re-rig in a fraction of the time that it takes for all this messing around.

There's an article on TroutBitten, about an alternative rig. I don't use that rig either, but I think it's much better than this one.

Last edited:

Jesseg122

Idk. Both ways sound like they would work it just looks like less work swapping rigs if you have it set up like the video. Have dedicated flies for it and much easier than dealing with multiple knots

wanderingrichard

If you value your sanity, skip forward to about 15 minutes.

This rig isn't good, IMO. I could cut my line and re-rig in a fraction of the time that it takes for all this messing around.

There's an article on TroutBitten, about an alternative rig. I don't use that rig either, but I think it's much better than this one.

After the first 3 minutes of his pathetic self indulgence (thank you, Draxx the Destroyer), i moved on.Theres better videos on the web than this.

Last edited:

Matt B

WFF Premium
Idk. Both ways sound like they would work it just looks like less work swapping rigs if you have it set up like the video. Have dedicated flies for it and much easier than dealing with multiple knots
To me, it looks like a big pain in the rear for not much advantage. At this point, I am pretty good with knots, including multiple knots. I am not convinced, but thanks for showing a different idea.

wanderingrichard

Given the state of crap on the web these days, I'm starting to advocate for strict licensing and psychiatric evaluations before being allowed to purchase a go pro or web cam...

Old Man

A very Old Man
I have my own way of fishing 2 nymph's. It also takes me a long time to tie it up . When I didn't shake very much, I could get it done up in about 2 minutes. Now I don't even attempt to tie a set up. I really don't waste any time on shit like this.

Brute

WFF Premium
Ok...I'm all for a better mousetrap...but it would seem adding a couple sections of vinyl tubing increases weight to the stimulator, hopper etc...if you are only fishing one rod, making the dropper longer means two more knots, and shorter only one more knot. I know last winter, I just pretied a couple nymphs in the warmth of my home to several different lengths of tippets so I only had to retie one knot...

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
When I use a dry dropper rig, I usually just set it to 1-2ft and don't change it; I'm mainly targeting fish that are willing to rise to the surface or just below it.

If I'm targeting fish deeper than that, I can usually get close enough to hit them with the euro trash. You get much better drifts that way.

The only exceptions I have found are windy days or very (very) slow pools. In those circumstances, I get patriotic and pull out the bobbers. It's pretty rare though.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
I couldn't bring myself to waste any time watching that.....

I would much rather waste my time perusing fishing forums.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts