After October 1...

E_walker

Hi all,

I've enjoyed all of your photos, lovely stories, and post-skunk commisseration from the last few months. It's wonderful to have a resource like WFF forum to start learning the regulations, culture, ecology, tidal influence, etc. etc. That goes into saltwater fishing in the Sound.

Two part question: what marine areas do you like to fish after October 1? We love the game of finding specific beaches, but would appreciate some general direction on what areas may fish well this time of year.

Second part: we are considering using a jet boat that, until recently, served the exclusive purpose of fishing larger rivers. Would we be laughed off the sound in such a vessel? Do we run risk of turning this lovely boat into benthic home for the lovely bottom-feeders?

Advice is appreciated. Please feel free to post directly or dm me if you have follow up questions. Oh, we are open to recommended guide services so please pass any of that information along as you see fit. Thank you!

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
Hi all,

I've enjoyed all of your photos, lovely stories, and post-skunk commisseration from the last few months. It's wonderful to have a resource like WFF forum to start learning the regulations, culture, ecology, tidal influence, etc. etc. That goes into saltwater fishing in the Sound.

Two part question: what marine areas do you like to fish after October 1? We love the game of finding specific beaches, but would appreciate some general direction on what areas may fish well this time of year.

Second part: we are considering using a jet boat that, until recently, served the exclusive purpose of fishing larger rivers. Would we be laughed off the sound in such a vessel? Do we run risk of turning this lovely boat into benthic home for the lovely bottom-feeders?

Advice is appreciated. Please feel free to post directly or dm me if you have follow up questions. Oh, we are open to recommended guide services so please pass any of that information along as you see fit. Thank you!
I don’t know much about handling jet boats on the Puget Sound (steering, hull shape, etc) as I’ve never done it, but having used them on rivers it seems like you might be facing continually sucking a bunch of crap (seaweed, debris, litter) into it as, in my experience, the Sound has a lot more floating on it than a typical river.

Also, rust. How “salt safe” is the boat?

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
You do see a few jet boats out there, but not enough to make me think that it’s a good option. You might be able to switch the lower unit for a standard gearbox with a prop. It would definitely improve the efficiency, though wouldn’t do anything about the ride in choppy water.

sroffe

I've seen jet boats on the sound. Heck the Victoria Clipper Catamaran uses jet drive propulsion. Yet it even suck up stuff that has to be removed by their engineer while enroute.

Jeff Dodd

I’ve been out in a jet boat like this it worked fine but we did suck eelgrass into the pump and it disabled us. I think the owner reversed the pump and that didn’t clear it.

I’d have a kicker!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts