Drift Boat Accident on the Henerys Fork.

Shad

I've floated this stretch before and I'm sure many others here have as well.

It's not the type of water where I'd think to put on a PFD.

With that being said I'm not sure I've ever put on a PFD in my drift boat or anyone else's. Probably not the smartest decision.
I try to be "smart," but I must agree that most of the time I'm in a drift boat, I'm not wearing a PFD. As much as we all talk about this and probably should know better, we do a pretty lousy job of taking that seriously. Funny... ANY time I'm floating in a pontoon boat (on rivers), I always wear one. Why not in the drifter?

From what I've seen, most of us are kind of dumb about that stuff sometimes. I guess the very real prospect of paying the ultimate price every time we get in a boat isn't always enough to outweigh the desire to be comfortable.

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
I try to be "smart," but I must agree that most of the time I'm in a drift boat, I'm not wearing a PFD. As much as we all talk about this and probably should know better, we do a pretty lousy job of taking that seriously. Funny... ANY time I'm floating in a pontoon boat (on rivers), I always wear one. Why not in the drifter?

From what I've seen, most of us are kind of dumb about that stuff sometimes. I guess the very real prospect of paying the ultimate price every time we get in a boat isn't always enough to outweigh the desire to be comfortable.
with modern pfd's i think its more about culture and at times, ego, then comfort. there are really great pfds/ even with a life jacket, you can hit your head on a rock and die. swimming while knocked out is surely tricky. the risk in rivers is real. safe floating.

the article is pretty vague so i wont assume what happened, and no matter it sucks.

up2nogood

Just talking to a friend about the incident , same here always have mine on in the pontoon , but I have never worn one in his drift boat ,or anyones for that matter . Thats going to change . As far as comfortable, I wear one of those self inflating ones , had one on this past summer on Hebgen, ,and it was hot , but that PFD was not a factor as far being uncomfortable ,nor do I even realize I have it on .

Dustin Bise

reformed hot-spotter
Maybe share your reasoning ?

its a mechanically complex system with way more ways to fail then a standard type III vest designed for fishing or rafting/kayaking

manual pull = good luck pulling it knocked out

autofill = not 100 percent reliable

air inflated chamber can be punctured by sticks and rocks.

you need to carry spare Co2 (not a huge issue) because without spares one accidental or intentional use means you no longer have a vest for the rest of the trip.

they are good for flat water/near shore uses like paddleboarding or float tubing a local lake. they are not designed or intended for swift/white water applications.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts