False blame

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
edit: I stand corrected. due to my internet sleuthing, it turns out they were/are made in Carson, CA.

This probably explains why the design and fit of MAGA hats looks like garbage. I always wondered why they looked so bad, when they're supposed to be iconic. They should have left it to the experts (in China) that make dope NBA/MLB/NFL hats (for a fraction of the price).

The general crappiness of the hats is a very profound metaphor.

Cruik

WFF Premium
Total speculation, but I think it's optimistic that it isn't political. If quality was a good faith worry, he'd have probably done more research, like figuring out the line weight. Or kept his mouth shut about a sport he obviously knew little about to come home and do his own research. My speculations are frequently wrong, but it sounds plausible that supporting Chinese business is not consistent with his personal politics.

O' Clarkii Stomias

This probably explains why the design and fit of MAGA hats looks like garbage. I always wondered why they looked so bad, when they're supposed to be iconic. They should have left it to the experts (in China) that make dope NBA/MLB/NFL hats (for a fraction of the price).

The general crappiness of the hats is a very profound metaphor.
Great hats, and even better global pandemics! Here's to China!

Charles Sullivan

His tirade would be more reasonable if it were directed at the reel maker. If he really wants a US reel, then an appropriately sized medalist made in the USA can usually be purchased on the big auction site. They are pretty good values too.

He could support any number of small US producers if he wants a handsome custom reel. I have a couple speyco's. Dude makes them in his garage or at least used to.

Generally, complaining to an hourly retail employee about the origin of the inventory is pretty ineffective. I have no issue with the gentleman's frustration. I don't have a problem with anyone stating that they'd prefer an american made product. Vote with your wallet. I would not like it if someone blamed the employee personally though. That's a pefect blend of stupidity, ineffectiveness and asshole behavior.

Go sox,
cds

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Put politics aside because it has little to do with it. Look at any major American company and you'll see that they may have had their start in the USA, but they put profit over everything and source out supply as cheaply as possible. If you look around your home you will see very little that doesn't come from overseas from the tools in your garage to the socks on your feet. Corporate greed is what it's all about.
Profit or viability?

Little chance many if not most of our US companies could be profitable selling goods made with American worker pay/costs.

The concentration of wealth, and the system that avoids the wealthy having to support the people who helped build that wealth, will be our economic downfall.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
OP: in all honesty, my feeling would have likely been similar to yours...not that I'd act on it, but it's pretty ridiculous when you break it down. Shoot, I have some 'made in China' reels that are better than 'made in USA' reels and vice versa. I don't ultimately keep ones that work and get rid of ones that don't....for me, it doesn't really matter where it's made. I just want it to work and be reasonable priced.

Hell, my current favorite reel was actually made (probably close to 100%-some of the metal innards may not be) in the US. It's a 3D printed reel that I hang off my musky rod. works great!

dflett68

WFF Premium
I just got home from purchasing a few rolls of backing.A friend works the counter exclusively. This clown came in, said his father had passed a couple months ago .He found a SAGE rod ion the garage,asked for info on reels suitable.He had no idea as to the weight of said rod.My friend set the 3 spool Lamson on the counter .Good set up and I wished they had the boxed set yrs ago. The "clown " got instantly offensive pointing the China made in writing. I don't by China but I also have dozens of reels.Still he insulted the counter man and pointed out he was 1 of the major problems by selling them. I am usually too polite to point out this customer is an asshat . Lucky is wasn't me he was insulting, He may have had to switch casting arms for a while. What you think? Are sales men guilty for selling Chinese crap?
usually. what i'm curious about is when was the last time you (or anyone sane) broke somebody's arm for a perceived insult at work? troll.

Squamishpoacher

Profit or viability?

Little chance many if not most of our US companies could be profitable selling goods made with American worker pay/costs.

The concentration of wealth, and the system that avoids the wealthy having to support the people who helped build that wealth, will be our economic downfall.
Precisely. Those companies got rich off the sweat and dedication of their workers.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts