Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

False blame

8K views 157 replies 50 participants last post by  gone johnson 
#1 ·
I just got home from purchasing a few rolls of backing.A friend works the counter exclusively. This clown came in, said his father had passed a couple months ago .He found a SAGE rod ion the garage,asked for info on reels suitable.He had no idea as to the weight of said rod.My friend set the 3 spool Lamson on the counter .Good set up and I wished they had the boxed set yrs ago. The "clown " got instantly offensive pointing the China made in writing. I don't by China but I also have dozens of reels.Still he insulted the counter man and pointed out he was 1 of the major problems by selling them. I am usually too polite to point out this customer is an asshat . Lucky is wasn't me he was insulting, He may have had to switch casting arms for a while. What you think? Are sales men guilty for selling Chinese crap?

#2 ·
There's nothing inherently wrong with buying things that are made in China. Very often, it is better for this country if we buy things that are made in China. Folks who think it is always optimal and patriotic to only buy US made items don't understand basic economics. That is checkers level thinking, when reality is more like chess.

#34 ·
There's nothing inherently wrong with buying things that are made in China. Very often, it is better for this country if we buy things that are made in China.
This is insane to me.

I remember when the left used to care about freedom and human rights. I guess we really don't care as long as we can save a buck or two.

The CCP is pure evil, we need to reset our relationship, and begin to de-couple.

#15 ·
Put politics aside because it has little to do with it. Look at any major American company and you'll see that they may have had their start in the USA, but they put profit over everything and source out supply as cheaply as possible. If you look around your home you will see very little that doesn't come from overseas from the tools in your garage to the socks on your feet. Corporate greed is what it's all about.

#18 ·
Total speculation, but I think it's optimistic that it isn't political. If quality was a good faith worry, he'd have probably done more research, like figuring out the line weight. Or kept his mouth shut about a sport he obviously knew little about to come home and do his own research. My speculations are frequently wrong, but it sounds plausible that supporting Chinese business is not consistent with his personal politics.

#22 ·
His tirade would be more reasonable if it were directed at the reel maker. If he really wants a US reel, then an appropriately sized medalist made in the USA can usually be purchased on the big auction site. They are pretty good values too.

He could support any number of small US producers if he wants a handsome custom reel. I have a couple speyco's. Dude makes them in his garage or at least used to.

Generally, complaining to an hourly retail employee about the origin of the inventory is pretty ineffective. I have no issue with the gentleman's frustration. I don't have a problem with anyone stating that they'd prefer an american made product. Vote with your wallet. I would not like it if someone blamed the employee personally though. That's a pefect blend of stupidity, ineffectiveness and asshole behavior.

Go sox,
cds

#28 ·
OP: in all honesty, my feeling would have likely been similar to yours...not that I'd act on it, but it's pretty ridiculous when you break it down. Shoot, I have some 'made in China' reels that are better than 'made in USA' reels and vice versa. I don't ultimately keep ones that work and get rid of ones that don't....for me, it doesn't really matter where it's made. I just want it to work and be reasonable priced.

Hell, my current favorite reel was actually made (probably close to 100%-some of the metal innards may not be) in the US. It's a 3D printed reel that I hang off my musky rod. works great!

#35 ·
Gotta agree with you there. Have 90% of the US flags made in China makes it appear you've turned your country over to China. I don't have any objections to having items made and shipped from China but I have to say that China has no quality control. The stuff I buy that's imported from China is JUNK. The only reason that I end up buying it, is that I have no choice since now it appears everything is coming out of China. Wholesalers buying from China shouldn't accept alot of this TRASH that's sold to them..
Words like JUNK and Trash to describe all Chinese products just aren't accurate. Many products coming out of China now are well made, cleverly designed-and recently-extremely well packaged. And why not-American businessmen eager to make a buck were the first to sell modern CNC equipment and computers to China. It was to be expected that with their high standards of education they would quickly master and improve on production techniques and they have.

Right after WWII and well into the 60's I heard all of the same criticisms about Japanese products. They overcame all of the barbs slung at them and developed world class quality. The same for the Koreans, both countries are now obsessed with quality products.

Sure, China still builds a lot of crap but so do many other countries including the USA. We produced a lot of horrible automobiles back during the 60's, 70's and 80's, had we placed quality over profit companies like Honda and Toyota might never have become the big players that they are.

Cheap shit will continue to be in demand in perpetuity as the uber wealthy now control over 90% of our nations wealth. That leaves the rest of us trying to divide our less than 10% three hundred million ways-it's either cheap shit or no shit at all.

#32 ·
I don't know retail, but as a surveyor I know a bit about peoples reactions. People tend to go off on the low man on the ladder, and when the licensed professional comes up it goes one of two ways: Usually the louder and more belligerent they become, the less they know about the topic, or they become meeker when they realize their "feelings" on the subject don't agree with the realities of what their deed actually says or application of law and court decisions.
Luckily as a surveyor the line has to be the same whether I survey for party A or B, I'm an impartial reporter of fact, I spend quite a bit of time educating the public. A counter persons job is not to explain the complexities of the manufacturing marketplace. I know the customer is always right, but in this case I think nod and listen, and refer him up the chain of command. He was out of line.

#33 ·
Side note: If you're at 90% then our flag stat must be 100% for sure.

Ask Justin.

Canada has long been turned over to China and the majority of citizens are apparently A.O.K. with it.

The above complaint by my countryman regarding quality control is now the standard result in just about every conceivable product and transaction.

Right up to and including for example the graphene coated/containing masks purchased and then distributed by government by the millions for daily use in schools/public services across the country.

Tough to assess quality over the internet though.

Especially quality of photoshopped foreign made items bought via foreign made items from the distant comfort of your most likely foreign made item.

And especially without the existence any longer of the once important and long held standard requirement of the purchaser actually ever seeing or touching the components used in the manufacturing of said items.

"But I got so many and it was so cheap.... there's bank off this"

Can't have it both ways I guess.

#40 ·
We all vote with our dollars everyday. Everybody gets a choice. It's still a free market, sort of with some footnotes. I understand a global economy perfectly well and all the forces in play. I don't agree with some forum members on their views but I can assure you it isn't because I'm stupid. I personally like domestic goods provided I can get quality. I don't like domestic crappy goods though and I despise goods disguised as domestic including price that aren't. In fact I love imported goods with a heritage and pride in their making from whatever country of origin. If it's authentic, quality, has soul and style then I'll probably like it. The Corvette is cool but it doesn't make a Ferrari any less cool that's for sure. I wonder how many proud and faithful will purchase a Chinese made Harley though? Think I'm speaking radically? Check it out. I personally think modern Harleys are overpriced, overweight, underpowered and essentially soulless machines that champion an image I'm not into to. I know I will get lynched for that but it's just my opinion and I don't judge if that's your thing. I would never buy one though. I'm a quieter American than that I guess.

I do however love me some Austrian two wheel machines. Even KTM is making bikes in China now. I'll never own one but that's the beauty of it. I can vote that one down with my dollar. Me not buying one is for two reasons. The first is philosophical and the second is reliability of the machine. The Chinese are so far behind the Japanese as far as quality that's it's not even a race. I'd own about any Japanese motorcycle as they are tried and true.

Hopefully KTM and other companies hear my vote of a dollar or lack thereof. But bitching some patriotic line about domestic made products to someone working in a retail store is pointless. Now if I get the ear of the boss at KTM over a beer. I'll let him know what I think as I feel he might be in a position to do something and knowing what one of his consumers thinks is beneficial to him. Bitching out a retailer does nothing. They order what sells and what's selling is voted up via the dollar. Be choosey who you support with your dollars as those products success depends on people buying them. If you want Chinese cheap crap then great, buy it. You're not alone there but don't think you are doing anything noble for the planet buying disposable goods and don't think you are supporting a country that is on board with your American values. I'm judicious about what I buy and support. It's not some America first or only deal it's about quality and long lasting goods. I like to own less stuff of high quality.

#54 ·
Just food for thought, buying American does not ensure quality and does not necessarily avoid the exploitation of workers:

The American garment industry continues to use sweat shop practices:

"Companies such as Forever 21, Ross, and TJ Maxx have been major offenders in regards to utilizing sweatshops located in the United States. In fact, many of these apparel retailers have sweatshops located in Los Angeles. In 2016, the DOL investigated 77 garment factories in Los Angeles who produced clothing for the aforementioned brands, and found egregious labor violations at 85% of the factories it visit"

The US continues to exploit its prison population (>2.3 million):

"Factories with Fences" and "American Made" boasts UNICOR. Better known as the Federal Prison Industries program, UNICOR makes nearly half a billion dollars in net sales annually using prison labor, paying inmates between 23¢ to $1.15 per hour. Despite already earning one-sixth of the federal minimum wage, inmates with final obligations must contribute half of their earnings to cover those expenses. UNICOR, in addition to other government-owned corporations and private prisons, makes millions upon millions of dollars using nearly free prison labor."

Slave labor is alive and well in the US with estimated 17,500 foreign nationals and 400,000 Americans being trafficked into and within the United States [1] every year with 80% of those being women and children.[2]
  1. More than 400,000 People Could Be Living in Modern Slavery in the US, Report Says.Miami Herald, 19 July 2018, 11:17 AM, amp.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article215154980.html
  2. ^ Human Trafficking. (n.d.). Retrieved April 23, 2014, from http://www.humantraffickinged.com/

To avoid exploitation of workers, one really needs to perform a due diligence that few of us (myself included) are willing, or even able to perform.

#59 ·
Do some reading. I just provided 1 source, there are multiple reports with similar results.

"A former chief executive of TJX, parent company of TJMaxx and Marshalls, explained to USA Today back in 2011 that 85% of the merchandise in any given store may have been produced for TJX directly."

"In 2012, the U.S. Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division accused multiple Los Angeles-area contract garment-makers of underpaying workers by hundreds of thousands of dollars. The accused contractors made clothing for TJX, Urban Outfitters, Ross, Forever 21, Dillard's, and more."

But I guess just denying is easier.

cheers

#90 ·
If one thinks about, we all are "slaves" in some form or another as we work. At least it says so on my paystubs on the 1st and 16th of each month.

Which reminds me, my 2019 federal refund has not arrived yet…it was filed in May 2020, as per the guidelines this year.
That's why I would ra
The United States and UK will transfer naval nuclear-propulsion technology to Australia. Such a decision is a fundamental policy reversal for the United States, which has in the past spared no effort to thwart the transfer of naval reactor technology by other countries, except for its World War II partner, the United Kingdom. Even France-whose "contract of the century" to sell 12 conventional submarines to Australia was shot down by PM Morrison during the AUKUS announcement-had been repeatedly refused US naval reactor technology during the Cold War. If not reversed one way or another, the AUKUS decision could have major implications for the nonproliferation regime.

With tons of weapons-grade uranium out of international safeguards, what could go wrong?
Your definition of international safeguards?

#56 ·
Remember when "Made in Japan" was the blame shift? Reading through these posts seem purely political from one point of view and logical from the other. American (WORLD) Corporate greed is at the forefront of the issue. Maximizing profit over customer needs, value, and quality is the Corporate mantra no matter what country you point the finger at.

I find it very interesting that the same crew that tells me I can't live without petroleum products are the same complainers about Chinese made products we can't live with!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.