Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rio Fathom Cleensweep

1K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Ron McNeal 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried these? Mechanically it seems like a bad idea when compared to a straight-line presentation. Wouldnt detecting strikes and setting hooks be harder with this? I could be wrong and open to the idea, but is it marketing gimmicks?

#3 ·
That does seem odd but sometimes seemingly odd presentations catch the dickens out of fish. I don't think hooksets would be a problem as long as there aren't big slack loops between fisher and fly. I'd like to hear more from someone who has done some real testing.

#4 ·
I haven’t been compelled to spend the $$. But several companies are making something similar so someone’s buying them. The goal seems to be maximizing the time during the retrieve that your fly is moving either up or down rather than parallel to the surface. I had a day last weekend where most of my bites came in the last 1/3 of the retrieve as my minnow started to swim up towards the surface from 20+ feet down. Maybe a “sweep” line would have been more effective?

#6 ·
I heard that Rio InTouch gives explosive casting distance, more intuitive timing, lightning-fast hook sets and supernatural ability to detect even the softest takes.

My casting distance is not at all combustible and there's no evidence of anything paranormal in my ability to detect soft takes, so I'm pretty sure I need this.

#9 ·
I could swear that Rio and the likes spent years convincing everyone they didn't want a sinking line that sank with a belly - they said uniform sink was what you needed.

Now that they've got us all into uniform sink lines, time to rename that old parabolic sinker and throw a fresh marketing approach at it.
That was my initial thought as well but I'm working hard at trusting science.:D

#8 ·
They look like they could be a good searching line and certainly would be more convenient than carrying several rods strung up with different sink rate lines, especially if you're in a float tube or pontoon.
That said, in looking them up I saw that the price had dropped 10$ from original retail by dealers across the board. Kinda made me wonder why.

#11 ·
Shit just re thought, it’s 6 lines for one rod, a floater for dries/emerger/soft hackles, floater for indi’s, an intermediate and types II, IV and VI…and really I’ve 2 indi lines as I fish 2 rods and I’ve 2 type VI’s. How do we accumulate so much stuff? On my trend looks like I ‘really’ need this too…:D They saw me coming.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.