Trading boat time

thatguyryry

Hey All,

I would really like to start getting into targeting salmon in rivers more, specifically starting to think about fishing from a drift boat or a raft. I have found my best experience is putting time on the water and meeting new people, watching how they fish, etc. I'm thinking about buying a house soon, so spending on guides isn't something I'm interested in, so I was wondering if people would be willing to trade trips. I work every other Friday and have weekends off, so I am limited to be weekend warrior .

What I can offer: South Sound SRC and Salmon. Comfortable boat, and good coffee. Good fishing conversation. Gear or fly fishing.

Looking for: fly fishing for salmon with single hand gear on sw/coastal rivers. Needs to be scheduled ahead of time to work around kids and wife.

Willing to drive, put in hours, listen and watch.

Thanks Ryan

dp

~El Pescador
interesting concept. I like to salmon fish in the Sound (gear) and would be willing to take people from here in exchange for access to some of the lesser occupied lakes in Ea. Wa.
waiting to see where this goes.

Squamishpoacher

In BC, for offering that you'd be charged with guiding without a licence. If you accept anything as compensation it's viewed as guiding. Sounds crazy but it's true. Not saying it's right by any means but the interpretation of the law is now such that if you take a friend out to teach how to fly cast and you let him buy you a burger after it's illegal. Crazy!

thatguyryry

In BC, for offering that you'd be charged with guiding without a licence. If you accept anything as compensation it's viewed as guiding. Sounds crazy but it's true. Not saying it's right by any means but the interpretation of the law is now such that if you take a friend out to teach how to fly cast and you let him buy you a burger after it's illegal. Crazy!
That's crazy, I've taken so many friends out this year to teach them how to fish I would be in a lot of trouble.

Reactions: TWD

Squamishpoacher

That's crazy, I've taken so many friends out this year to teach them how to fish I would be in a lot of trouble.
I know! The legal interpretation the Conservation Officer Service was given by their counsel is that if someone accepts payment for taking someone out fishing in freshwater or hunting, they are in essence guiding that person for remuneration and they must have a guiding licence. It doesn't apply in tidal waters because there is no licence required in BC to guide on the ocean. So if you and I go fishing together at our local lake and you pay for lunch we are breaking the law.

• Wow
Reactions: TWD

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Unenforceable nonsense.

Like the idea of trading drift trips for power boat trips. I can barely find time to use my own boat but 10 years ago I’d have been all over this.

surfnfish

In BC, for offering that you'd be charged with guiding without a licence.
imagine the district attorney office bringing a case in front of a judge.."well, your honor, they swapped fishing trips of unequal value, therefore committing an act of unfair commerce"...the judge would throw his gavel at 'em for wasting court time

Matt B

WFF Premium
imagine the district attorney office bringing a case in front of a judge.."well, your honor, they swapped fishing trips of unequal value, therefore committing an act of unfair commerce"...the judge would throw his gavel at 'em for wasting court time
“Resource Ofcr. Krupke observed Suspect 1 give a bite of Suspect 1’s sandwich to Suspect 2. Suspect 2 also accepted a bag of ketchup chips and a Coffee Crisp from Suspect 1.”

thatguyryry

Where's the unequal value? I spend gas money, and someone else rows my fat ass around.

Squamishpoacher

I certainly would hope so. Also hope the officer would opt for education over litigation.

Peyton00

So u have a salt boat with open seats and are looking for rides in river boats.
Is that the gist of it?

Can ya hike your fat ass down a trail or over a few logs?

I like the idea of trip swaps.

thatguyryry

@Peyton00 that is the gist and I most definitely can. Maybe it would help my fat ass get in shape.

All joking aside I had been training for Rainier this summer so no worries about that.

I honestly think that meeting new people is half the fun where you can trade fish stories. On the tuna trip I did this year, I think it was just as fun catching a tuna as being on a boat with 6 guys who are just as excited as I am about fishing.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info