Upper Yak Float

BigJohnJohn

Fly Fisher
WFF Premium
Hoping to get out in the next few days to float the Upper Yak but this will be my first time out since the flip flop and I am not as familiar with the upper Yak. I was wondering what the state of the log jam just past State is? Also, how does the take out at Bristol work. Is that open to the public? I saw reference in a previous thread about putting money in a box. Is that still the case? Will any of the local shops that run a shuttle service be able to take my rig down to Bristol?

Thanks in advance for the help!
John

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
There's a metal box at Bristol to throw money in, it's really obvious. I usually drop a $20 in there. It's not public. But they allow access and ask you pay.

Heard the jam is passable, but barely. That was a month or so ago. I think most everyone is still going around. I usually float Bristol down, so haven't seen it first hand this year. Second hand info so take it for what it's worth (not much, I'd play it safe).

Have fun, great time of year to be on the yak.

Matt B

WFF Premium
Shorter fall days, lower (slower) flows, good fishing, good looking water, and a particularly slooooow fishing buddy (and just straight up poor time management) conspired to create a terrifying finish to an otherwise pleasant day one time. Okay maybe more than one time?

Every sparkly moonlit ripple looks like certain death after a couple of good rock hits in the dark. Standard LED headlamps don’t do a lot to pierce that kind of darkness.

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
Shorter fall days, lower (slower) flows, good fishing, good looking water, and a particularly slooooow fishing buddy (and just straight up poor time management) conspired to create a terrifying finish to an otherwise pleasant day one time. Okay maybe more than one time?

Every sparkly moonlit ripple looks like certain death after a couple of good rock hits in the dark. Standard LED headlamps don’t do a lot to pierce that kind of darkness.
There's definitely a few spots in that stretch you could fish for hours on end.
I usually try and make it to the big pool with the pump house (?) and creek coming in from the left by half way thru.

That usually leaves enough time to mess around 2nd half of the trip. Usually.

BigJohnJohn

Fly Fisher
WFF Premium
One more random question, have folks been wet wading or going with waders. When I was out there last 3 weeks ago, I wet waded comfortably but it was still a bit warmer....

Matt B

WFF Premium
One more random question, have folks been wet wading or going with waders. When I was out there last 3 weeks ago, I wet waded comfortably but it was still a bit warmer....
Depends. I know it is cold having wet britches in a boat at night in Septober, haha, not so bad in the daytime.

Jaybird

The path through the logjam is definitely doable. Went today with no issues. Was hoping to get more action on the October caddis dries, but most were on the nymph. Beautiful out there this time of year!

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts