NFR Western States Growth : An Observation

Growing up and living in the West most my life I've always considered myself, what my wife calls a "western man". Sagebrush, Pinion Pine and Juniper are in my blood. So it was with real surprise and a little sadness what I saw as I drove to Heber, Utah and back from Puget Sound for a family reunion. The last good place, as they say in Montana, is forever changed. Staying in Park City and attending ceremonies in Midway, Ut. was a real eye opener. Park City has changed into just another suburb of Salt Lake. Commuters abound, traffic sucks, and crowds surge, all in the illusion of recreation. Not my idea of fun. Poor little Midway and Heber have unfortunately taken a hit also, as the rich, beautiful people invade the rural tranquility of my ancestors homeland. Pretentious wealth flows from behind the no trespassing signs, as rude Texas drivers hog the road. Privacy, shit there's someone already loitering where you want to be. On our way back we thought we would divert from I-84 and drive thru Central Oregon for a change of scenery. We used to love to stop in Boise and take a walk along the River Trail, to stretch our legs on such a long drive. What a change, and not necessarily a good one, to this beautiful area. Building was rampant. Meridian and Nampa were overrun and the highways torn and abused. Cars in turmoil and people frowning everywhere. What a relief when we hit the exit at Ontario and drove the lovely stretch of highway down to Burns, OR. This is more like it, the West I see in my fantasy of wide vistas and empty roads. Nice, then came Bend. Crist, I'm not going to even comment. Been twenty years since I'd been there and probably won't return except to drive on thru to somewhere else. So there you go, one old grumps view from the windshield, of our vanishing home. Love it why you can...

JayB

Can't help but wonder if a critical mass of folks in whatever "Last, Best Place" hasn't been inundated will pool their resources and hire a few platoons of down-on-their-luck actors to reconstitute the modern equivalent of the Rajneeshi Compound on the outskirts of their town in the vain hope that it'll keep the hordes of interlopers at bay....

dustinchromers

Can't help but wonder if a critical mass of folks in whatever "Last, Best Place" hasn't been inundated will pool their resources and hire a few platoons of down-on-their-luck actors to reconstitute the modern equivalent of the Rajneeshi Compound on the outskirts of their town in the vain hope that it'll keep the hordes of interlopers at bay....

I don't blame people for wanting to live in the Northwest. I've traveled around this country and its a beautiful place. I still feel the Northwest is the most beautiful and diverse landscape though.

Squamishpoacher

Where I grew up 50 miles east of Vancouver, BC, you could have fired a shotgun down the main drag on a Saturday afternoon and been lucky to hit a stray cat. I worked in an outdoor shop as a kid and when we were discussing World War II in grade 11, I, with the teachers blessing, brought a decomissioned Bren gun into class for show-and-tell. Try that today.

As much as we see the growth in the West as a negative, it's actually a positive for the planet as it distributes resources more widely. This is hard for us to understand but being how supply is based on demand, if we didn't have populations spreading out we would be hard pressed to find the resources we need in more remote areas, thus forcing us to move where they're more available. We then become part of the problem we once despised. I don't like it either, but I got this notion from an economist friend of mine sitting around a campfire on night.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
sorry, not helpful, I won't rant

Last edited:

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
As weather patterns change the NW will seem pretty desirable with its mellow climate. I'd be leaving the SE yesterday with what they have to deal with anymore. Hurricanes, tornadoes and floods oh my...

Honestly, I'd rather deal with hurricanes than fires and smoke. Being back west after a long absence has made me realize how much I'd rather evacuate for a few days (Florence and Dorien) than not be able to safely recreate (health-wise) for a fucking month and a half this summer. It doesn't hurt that I haven't seen the changes that I'm sure people who have been living in the SE for a long time and I don't notice them versus what I see every trip back out to the West Coast.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts