NFR Western States Growth : An Observation

Growing up and living in the West most my life I've always considered myself, what my wife calls a "western man". Sagebrush, Pinion Pine and Juniper are in my blood. So it was with real surprise and a little sadness what I saw as I drove to Heber, Utah and back from Puget Sound for a family reunion. The last good place, as they say in Montana, is forever changed. Staying in Park City and attending ceremonies in Midway, Ut. was a real eye opener. Park City has changed into just another suburb of Salt Lake. Commuters abound, traffic sucks, and crowds surge, all in the illusion of recreation. Not my idea of fun. Poor little Midway and Heber have unfortunately taken a hit also, as the rich, beautiful people invade the rural tranquility of my ancestors homeland. Pretentious wealth flows from behind the no trespassing signs, as rude Texas drivers hog the road. Privacy, shit there's someone already loitering where you want to be. On our way back we thought we would divert from I-84 and drive thru Central Oregon for a change of scenery. We used to love to stop in Boise and take a walk along the River Trail, to stretch our legs on such a long drive. What a change, and not necessarily a good one, to this beautiful area. Building was rampant. Meridian and Nampa were overrun and the highways torn and abused. Cars in turmoil and people frowning everywhere. What a relief when we hit the exit at Ontario and drove the lovely stretch of highway down to Burns, OR. This is more like it, the West I see in my fantasy of wide vistas and empty roads. Nice, then came Bend. Crist, I'm not going to even comment. Been twenty years since I'd been there and probably won't return except to drive on thru to somewhere else. So there you go, one old grumps view from the windshield, of our vanishing home. Love it why you can...

Sparse Grey Hackle

Then you have the opposite effect, at least in Oroville, WA. Twenty years ago it was a vibrant little town. Lake Osoyoos was full of waterskiers and fishermen. We even had a Mickey Dee’s in town. The video store was the go to spot for home entertainment. Restaurant’s were
busy and Alpine Brewery was hopping with brats and brews with live bands. Now it’s barely surviving. Empty shops, gas stations, and restaurants. Canadians have been denied entry for almost two years. They were a large part of the economy.

Sad…

Roper,
You just hot spotted your town!

I can get the word out to the CA Bay Area and load up your town with some transplants. Help is on the way!

PS - Hope you saved lots of money as you'll be competing with them for resources.

- Sparse

Last edited:

Jack MeHoff

Roper,

I can get the word out the CA Bay Area and load up your town with some transplants. Help is on the way!

PS - Hope you saved lots of money as you'll be competing with them for resources.

- Sparse
as long as they have money they would be welcome, curlew & Republic need a cash infusion as well

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Roper,

I can get the word out to the CA Bay Area and load up your town with some transplants. Help is on the way!

- Sparse

How do you hot spot a place when there isn't much there? Yes it is hot except in winter and it is a spot on the map but that is not a hot spot IMHO

Jack MeHoff

Hey, isn't that corner of the state part of the American Redoubt? I don't think they would like it. It isn't very "woke."
yes it is But, about the only income is from breaking into the darn Coasties cabins and pawning their stuff in Spokane. the timber industry is minimal & legal weed somewhat put the rural grow operations out of business. it is becoming poverty central

dflett68

The thing is I wasn't being philosophical.

I made a statement of fact that the influx of people doesn't just change the environment it changes the culture to which I provided a factual account of that very thing happening.
It happened to be a negative example. There are also many positive examples. Just like there are positive examples of western expansions and positive impacts on first nations peoples.
like i said

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts