lets talk Chopaka

Matt B

WFF Premium
I am glad you still enjoy the lake, but my last experience ruined a great place for me.

20 years ago, I couldn't wait to get an annual trip to Chopaka. It was always a 5 day retreat from the world for me. Just me and my dog, a few nice flyfishers to talk to if I wanted and a good time for relaxation. Now, it doesn't enter my mind to make the trip up. Last trip up (3 years ago), as I was coming over the hill I counted at least 20 RVs which blew me away since I rarely saw anything other than tents and truck campers. I found one lucky open camp spot. Setup my tent, talked with neighboring camper for a few minutes and threw the pontoon in the water and commenced fishing. I hit the shoreline across from the campsite for the evening bite and noticed a travel trailer backing into my driveway to my campsite and proceed to set out it's stabilizers, awning, etc....
I worked my way back to shore and as I walked up to my campsite that now had an RV in it this guy walks up to me and says "you were talking to my buddy and by the way, you don't mind if I set my trailer up here and share this with you do you. He didn't think you would mind"
I had originally planned a weeks stay there. I packed up the very next morning.
It's one thing to have the lake covered in pontoons, but really ..........!

I am now venturing into backpacking and fishing alpine lakes that won't have the crowds. Maybe the fish won't be as big so I better get a 0-2 weight and I'll be just as happy.
I agree that’s not cool and I would have been pretty miffed if that happened to me. Did you let them know that you did not appreciate it?

Salmo_g

WFF Premium
Does anyone feel that Chopaka's demise is, at least partially due to it being the most hot spotted lake on this forum? Asking for a lot of friends.
No. I think Chopaka remains Chopaka. I've fished it since 1972. It was well known then and hard to find an open campsite during the spring even then. The change and demise that some allude to is lost on me. The main changes I've observed are different species being stocked: rainbow, Atlantic salmon, cutthroat, fewer rainbow in hopes of growing larger fish, new outhouses, the observation pier, and the covered picnic tables at 3 or 4 of the campsites. What else has changed?

girlfisher

I have been fishing the lake since 1974 and have witnessed increases in numbers of fisher persons. Along with this human increase has been many years of low water that has reduced the biodiversity of food sources. The quality experience of catching and releasing 20+ fish on a size 12, gray humpy is gone, at least for me and others I have talked to.

I am not impressed with fish that have already been caught two or three times and released in every warming waters. Mostly, I miss the experience of catching and releasing a few robust trout without having to deal with an ever-increasing crowd of rude folks who travel between me and casting distance.

I will disagree with you that things were the same back in the early 1970s but that is my prospective.

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
WFF Premium
In my opinion, there are better options in the area, with easier access, ‘nuf said.

On the flip side, Chopaka is one of my favorite settings.

Salmo_g

WFF Premium
In my opinion, there are better options in the area, with easier access, ‘nuf said.

On the flip side, Chopaka is one of my favorite settings.
People keep saying that. And I've fished a few of those options and found good, but not better, fishing. And none yet that match the sub-alpine beauty of Chopaka. Apparently I need to delve deeper into these easier access options.

Roper

Idiot Savant
WFF Premium
Chopaka like any other lake runs hot and cold. Add bucket biologists and things went south. I wait until October when guys are deer hunting and snow is possible. The fish are hungry then…;) My introduction to flyfishing was at that lake, decades ago.

dp

~El Pescador
still a great place to fish and come back to a beautiful scenery.
I do not like the truck rumblings though while on the water.
that is a negative.
to each their own as they say.

Lance Magnuson

WFF Premium
I am glad you still enjoy the lake, but my last experience ruined a great place for me.

20 years ago, I couldn't wait to get an annual trip to Chopaka. It was always a 5 day retreat from the world for me. Just me and my dog, a few nice flyfishers to talk to if I wanted and a good time for relaxation. Now, it doesn't enter my mind to make the trip up. Last trip up (3 years ago), as I was coming over the hill I counted at least 20 RVs which blew me away since I rarely saw anything other than tents and truck campers. I found one lucky open camp spot. Setup my tent, talked with neighboring camper for a few minutes and threw the pontoon in the water and commenced fishing. I hit the shoreline across from the campsite for the evening bite and noticed a travel trailer backing into my driveway to my campsite and proceed to set out it's stabilizers, awning, etc....
I worked my way back to shore and as I walked up to my campsite that now had an RV in it this guy walks up to me and says "you were talking to my buddy and by the way, you don't mind if I set my trailer up here and share this with you do you. He didn't think you would mind"
I had originally planned a weeks stay there. I packed up the very next morning.
It's one thing to have the lake covered in pontoons, but really ..........!

I am now venturing into backpacking and fishing alpine lakes that won't have the crowds. Maybe the fish won't be as big so I better get a 0-2 weight and I'll be just as happy.
Over 30 years ago while camping on the DNR side, my and I were approached by a guy who wanted to use our spot to corral llamas he’d towed into Chopaka. He actually wanted us to move to another spot to accommodate his animals. We told him no and shut the camper’s door in his face. Unbelievable gall.

I’m afraid I would have been as direct with your trailer interloper.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts