Trip Report Yak, this Wednesday and Thursday

drifted with Red's guides these two days, first Cameron (Cam) second day Josh. first day from Ringer to Red's. second day from Big Horn to Red's, i had a medical ZOOM meeting so had cut the second day shorter. plenty of 'standard' Yakima rainbows, 8-10"s and one cutthroat, sort of interesting. two big horn sheep just above the railroad tracks, that was a surprise. beautiful canyon, great facility and both guides knew there stuff and put me on plenty of fish. perhaps this river needs to be closed for some months to give those trout no pressure and an opportunity to grow a bit bigger, who knows, certainly not me. not sure about the flow, one guide thought it was running at about 1,200fps. lots of shallow spots to grind over on the way down but in general plenty of water to fish.

dflett68

WFF Premium
Did you throw streamers at all? I went with a Red's guide also a couple years ago, late October. It was as you described until I switched to streamers. Lot's of fish between 16-20 after that... My shoulder was a little sore end of day but it was worth it.

gt

Did you throw streamers at all? I went with a Red's guide also a couple years ago, late October. It was as you described until I switched to streamers. Lot's of fish between 16-20 after that... My shoulder was a little sore end of day but it was worth it.
interesting. no streamers, big dry floater with a very small dropper, probably a 20 bead head.

PV_Premier

My experience too, big fish on the meat. We floated a few years back in both late March and early June and caught many of the heavier fish on streamers. Though on the late March float we also did good on skwala dries.

gt

No need to close it. You keep catching the dinks and leave the bigger fish for the guys in the know.
thank you so much for sharing your knowledge when i asked how the fishing was going. you know when i started fly fishing in 1960, there was a comradery among those of us perusing something new. and i can guarantee if you ask for help fishing a place i have been, i will provide you and anyone else who might ask, with whatever information i have in my kit bag.

Peyton00

thank you so much for sharing your knowledge when i asked how the fishing was going. you know when i started fly fishing in 1960, there was a comradery among those of us perusing something new. and i can guarantee if you ask for help fishing a place i have been, i will provide you and anyone else who might ask, with whatever information i have in my kit bag.

You fished with a local guide.
Ask for a refund.

Reactions: JS

gt

You fished with a local guide.
Ask for a refund.
i suggest you go back to your spinning rod and reel, buy a new jar of Pautzke balls of fire
and join a crowd more in keeping with your thinking. you definitely are out of place as a fly fisherman.

Peyton00

i suggest you go back to your spinning rod and reel, buy a new jar of Pautzke balls of fire
and join a crowd more in keeping with your thinking. you definitely are out of place as a fly fisherman.
You have fished since 1960 and took a 2 day guided trip and are upset because they set you up to catch dinks. They call you low hanging fruit......EASY MONEY.
Don't be mad at them, they are experts in the field and probably looked at your cast and said.....what can we do with this mess.

Go back and read the multiple threads about fishing the Yakima river. Do some homework and get after the big boys with meaty streamers.

Good luck!

gt

You have fished since 1960 and took a 2 day guided trip and are upset because they set you up to catch dinks. They call you low hanging fruit......EASY MONEY.
Don't be mad at them, they are experts in the field and probably looked at your cast and said.....what can we do with this mess.

Go back and read the multiple threads about fishing the Yakima river. Do some homework and get after the big boys with meaty streamers.

Good luck!
there is nothing easy about being a guide!!! want to talk about big fish?? 26 1/2# steelhead, 74# chinook... and i won't start in with saltwater fishes... did you find your spin gear yet?? your attitude and outlook would be welcome among that community of fishers.

Last edited:

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting

Good luck!

Guides used to help the fisherman with their casting. If they knew your current skills were not up to par and you were open to learning, both casting and fly selection, they would help. I had Zack as a guide on the Yak years ago. He did just that. Lessons I use even today.

The youngsters today just do not do that nowadays. It is a shame because it is up to them to help you anyway they can IMHO. If you improve they will have customer forever..

Last edited:

gt

Guides used to help the fisherman with their casting. If they knew your current skills were not up to par and you were open to learning, both casting and fly selection, they would help. I had Zack as a guide on the Yak years ago. He did just that. Lessons I use even today.

The youngsters today just do not do that nowadays. It is a shame because it is up to them to help you anyway they can IMHO. If you improve they will have customer forever..
i always listen to others and learn from their experiences, a valuable lesson in patience and knowing i am always learning. the report i got was '...the best caster fished with all summer long...'.

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Premium
Great report despite the asshat comments about guides and small fish! Guides end up teaching casting, but don't generally focus on it. Just enough for them to get there client to get the fly on the water!

My first guided trip, many years ago, on the Missouri River, I told the guide I was new to fly fishing but could cast decent! We hit a trico hatch and I caught a ton of fish, well over 20. I almost joined the 20/20 club that day but was using a size 18 fly!

Mainly I learned the river and more importantly I learned to read the water for fishing and rowing! One of my best days on the water and I can recall most of the day by just closing my eyes!

Reactions: gt

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts