Why are our Skagit and Skykomish seasons shorter in 2021 when Coho numbers are up compared to 2020

speedbird49

I'm really confused about this. I understand the stocks of concern are Summer Chinook and Chum. Neither of which overlap with Early Fall Coho. The pink season overlaps more with chinook season if anything.

bhudda

heffe'
NOF… make a difference there, we fish! Otherwise I don’t have an answer, it’s frustrating as the rains have just started.

speedbird49

You forgot wild Snohomish system coho as stock of concern.
SF
We have roughly 20,000 more Natural Spawning Coho in 2021 compared to 2020. While in the end we ended up getting a longer Sky season compared to last year (And had a Snohomish season at all) the original plan would have given us only about two weeks of Coho fishing. I am not knowledgeable enough about the Snohomish Coho to know if this number of fish is high enough to support a longer fishery, but you would think better runs would give longer fishing seasons. Then again, I imagine WDFW would not have expected us to have such a dry late Summer which kept us from getting into good numbers of fish on those systems

ceviche

Well, just because numbers are “up” doesn’t necessarily mean they are “good.” Potentially setting low bars, when the odds are stacked against the fish, doesn’t seem very prudent.

dustinchromers

Well, just because numbers are “up” doesn’t necessarily mean they are “good.” Potentially setting low bars, when the odds are stacked against the fish, doesn’t seem very prudent.

Come on! This is the wdfw way! We always have and always will manage for maximal acceptable damage even if the numbers and models are wrong. This is the way.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Hey I just got WDFW notice, 4:45pm Skagit river to open Thursday October 14 FROM HWY 9 to mouth of Baker.

So nice of them to give us 2 hours of extra fishing... :rolleyes: :confused: :(

Matt B

WFF Premium
Hey I just got WDFW notice, 4:45pm Skagit river to open Thursday October 14 FROM HWY 9 to mouth of Baker.

So nice of them to give us 2 hours of extra fishing... :rolleyes: :confused: :(
Yeah that part is odd but it was going to close on the 15th and now it’s open until the 24th right? So that’s good. They buried the lead.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts