Trip Report Fishing a local suburban South King County Lake

I invited 3 WFFer's over to fish a limited access lake in South King County. One has been fishing this lake for 40+ years and the two others were new to fishing here.

The weather was perfect. Water was glass smooth with an occasional puff of air in the afternoon. Sun was out and temp was perfect. With the recent cool down and rain the lake water temp was safe to fish.

I gave them the basics of what to fish for and where and off they went. A couple of them were into warm water fishing. Within a short period of time lots of fish were being caught. Plenty of trout between 14" and 18" with a couple larger. We also caught lots of perch, bass, crappie, and sunfish(?). Some of the crappie were in the 10" to 12" range. Two of those species I did not not even know were in the lake.

I learned more about this fishery today than in the last 22 years fishing it.

Meeting new people and re-establishing existing friendships is so important especially nowadays. Way more important than how many fish caught. But when you do both on a very nice day ---> perfect!

Last edited:

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Nope. I only recently became aware that there are catfish in WA.
Goals!

For those that have not met @Northern she is a Hella good fisher person and a lovely lady. Does circles around me for sure. She listens and applies the information provided and makes adjustments as necessary. If she has a goal it will be behind her shortly. Trust me. I will help her any way I can to have her beat me and 22 years and one catfish to hand.

Last edited:

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Premium
For those that have not met @Northern she is a Hella good fisher person and a lovely lady. Does circles around me for sure. She listens and applies the information provided and makes adjustments as necessary. If she has a goal it will be behind her shortly. Trust me. I will help her any way I can to have her beat me and 22 years and one catfish to hand.
You're too kind, but thank you.
And Puget Sound salmon disagree - other than rezzies, I haven't caught one off the beach in three years!
I think they can smell my midwestern blood

Sparse Grey Hackle

Nope. I only recently became aware that there are catfish in WA.
Goals!

Some years back there was an article on Fly Fish America about taking channel cats on the fly. To pull it off, you need fairly clear water and sandy and rocky flats. Lots of lakes have shoals that fit this bill. The authors (Al and Gretchen Beatty, I think) were using the old school "spruce fly" streamer with the badger hackle and I can only guess they slowly ticking it on or near the bottom.

Beware the dorsal fin if you catch one.
- Sparse

First I gotta ask - you ever fished for catfish with a fly and if so, how did you do? I have hooked 3 and landed 1 in 22 years here. All while fishing for trout.
Wasn’t really fishing for catfish but I did catch one in Western Washington while fishing for hatchery trout. I was fishing a 6 wt rod with a clear intermediate line and a black woolly bugger in 25 feet of water. As you can see the fish rolled a few times before coming to the net.

EDD3271A-7B97-442C-80F7-78319DF26BD0.jpeg

Sparse Grey Hackle

Wasn’t really fishing for catfish but I did catch one in Western Washington while fishing for hatchery trout. I was fishing a 6 wt rod with a clear intermediate line and a black woolly bugger in 25 feet of water. As you can see the fish rolled a few times before coming to the net.

View attachment 299600

From what I remember, they bull-dog when you play them to the net.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts