Douglas rods?

Tinker

Feckin eejit
I need to fill a 6wt-8wt hole in the lineup of rods I own and the reviews of the Douglas Sky G make it sound like it could be the right rod, but before I ask a shop to bring one in for me to test, I think it's best to ask for a few opinions from folks who use them in an environment closer to where I live and fish.

My one negative thought is that they seem horrifically expensive for rods built overseas.

Are they as good as reviewers claim?

deansie

Good friend has the 6wt, has had some issues with it and the customer service has been awful. That was enough to turn me away, plenty of other options out there in the same price point (+\- $100) from companies with good customer service that I quickly scrapped it from my list.

moon1284

They are expensive Korean rods. Nothing special. Their owner is a scumbag. I'd never buy anything from them.

Dillon

This is part of a review written by a friend of mine that evaluates rods and reels for several companies.

We have all been reading and hearing a lot though about Douglas’s revolutionary graphene platelet infused series of SKY-G rods. They may share nomenclature with their also advanced technology Nano silica particulate resin SKY siblings; however, their taper design by Douglas’s chief of rod design, Fred Contaoi, is dramatically different from his earlier SKY’s. Yes, they are still moderately fast but deeper flexing in the upper third of the rod than the steeper SKY’s. No, this is no soft, floppy tip, it is remarkably stable, communicative and exceptionally quick to recover. It tracks perfectly for excellent accuracy potential with ample feedback but does flex deeper into the taper than most faster rods, particularly 6-weights. Yellowstone Angler measured the static weight of this rod at 2.8 oz.; light for a 6-weight? No, it is light for a 9’/#4!

The taper design, built on all new mandrels, along with the remarkably low weight are consistent with Contoai’s informed usage of the soluble graphene infused resin. A stronger, more complete matrix allowing for less carbon fiber as well as resin is made possible while increasing strength and impact resistance.

It seems to me that every time I have the opportunity to fish a new SKY-G, I think it is the best Douglas yet. Though a “series” by name and aesthetics, Contaoi designs each individual model to perform optimally within its configuration’s intent, thus this #6 feels more potent low down with slightly less flexibility in its upper third compared to its 5-weigth renowned sibling. They share the handsomely understated three tone, light, dark gray to black color theme, even the burled wooden spacer is blackwood. The skeletonized, twin ring, up-locking reel seat and winding check are perfectly matched in their gunmetal anodization and the guide sets are US CERecoil strippers and Recoil single foot guides, all top quality as is the smooth cork work and flat epoxy finish performed in S. Korea. As with the other SKY-G’s the alignment graphics feature a dot opposite the rod’s printed size and weight. The shop that fabricates these rods is the leader in graphene technology with more expertise with it than any other rod shop anywhere.

chief

I have a 6wt Sky (not the Sky G) and I think it is a really nice casting rod. I would say It is comparable to the Hardy Zenith which is also Korean made and also a really nice rod. I have not had to deal with their customer service, so can't speak to that, but I would recommend the 6wt Sky to anyone looking for a great all arounder.

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
They are expensive Korean rods. Nothing special. Their owner is a scumbag. I'd never buy anything from them.

Can you elaborate, regarding the owner?

Those prices do seem very high, for foreign rods. Unless they have an industry veteran designing their rods or some kind of proprietary tech, it seems like a pretty ludicrous value proposition.

Last edited:

Tinker

Feckin eejit
For a $100 more get the Scott Centric.

That said, I do like my Douglas DXF as a backup rod.

Is there a contradiction in there somewhere? :) No matter. Thank you for suggesting the Scott.

I've been through a lot of online reviews of the Sky G rods and most agree they're extremely good casting rods - and no one here seems to disagree - but the online reviewers can only tell me about the rod and its performance, not about customer service after the sale if something isn't right or something goes wrong. That would be a deal-breaker for me.

Does anyone else have anythng to say about Douglas' customer service? Not that I doubt any friend of deansie, but I'd like some idea if it was an isolated problem.

Last edited:

smc

They do not appear to list a phone number anywhere on their website. That's a customer service fail in my book.

candr

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to test out the customer service/warranty service of Douglas, Sage, and Hardy all at the same time. Floating the Deschutes w rods lined up vertically in the front rod rack. Fishing partner gets out against a cliff on a small ledge to fish the back eddy tight to the cliff. Getting back in to the drift boat ass first, the boat shifts suddenly as he is getting in and he falls backwards taking out 4 of the 7 rods in the rack. They all snap 3 inches above the handle.
Douglas was easy . Fill out an online warranty form, email a picture of the break and pay $35. They send me a new lower section. Didn't need to ship the broken section. Had it in about a week. Sage (6wt rpl) shipped them the damaged rod + $150 for the "vintage rod" repair fee and took about 3 months to get a new section back. Hardy was the most difficult. $75 for the repair and took a couple months to get the rod back. Communication was back and forth and not very good.
Overall, Douglas was the easiest experience. Based on my experience w these three I wouldn't "not" buy Douglas because of customer service/warranty concerns. I have the old DCF 3114 euro nymph rod and I like it a lot.

Rob Allen

A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to test out the customer service/warranty service of Douglas, Sage, and Hardy all at the same time. Floating the Deschutes w rods lined up vertically in the front rod rack. Fishing partner gets out against a cliff on a small ledge to fish the back eddy tight to the cliff. Getting back in to the drift boat ass first, the boat shifts suddenly as he is getting in and he falls backwards taking out 4 of the 7 rods in the rack. They all snap 3 inches above the handle.
Douglas was easy . Fill out an online warranty form, email a picture of the break and pay $35. They send me a new lower section. Didn't need to ship the broken section. Had it in about a week. Sage (6wt rpl) shipped them the damaged rod + $150 for the "vintage rod" repair fee and took about 3 months to get a new section back. Hardy was the most difficult. $75 for the repair and took a couple months to get the rod back. Communication was back and forth and not very good.
Overall, Douglas was the easiest experience. Based on my experience w these three I wouldn't "not" buy Douglas because of customer service/warranty concerns. I have the old DCF 3114 euro nymph rod and I like it a lot.

Nor in the market for a rod but this is valuable information for people. Thank you.

Tinker

Feckin eejit
Thank you. This is a great help.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts