Douglas rods?

Dillon

Let's not get into a foreign vs Murica! debate.

There's a guy on the NAFF site (Sweetandsalt) who has some crazy access to just about every rod out there, and is quite diligent in testing them. He raves about the Sky G (and Douglas rods overall), and his is the opinion that I trust best. I cannot say he's discussed the 6 weight; I want to say it was the 5 weight he uses.
SweetandSalt does have a Douglas Sky 6wt. I don’t think he has the Sky G but has probably at least cast it. On our annual Id/Mt road trip 3 years ago I fished his Sky one morning during a pmd hatch.

My current 690 was the Radian. My experience with the Sky influenced me to replace the Radian. SweetandSalt encouraged me to check out the new 690 Anomaly Z when it came out last fall. I did and I loved it. By the end of the year Taylor will introduce the Truth Z. It will be faster and a bit more powerful than the AZ. I am thinking about ordering one.

SweetandSalt has definitely influenced my equipment decisions over the years. He does not have any brand loyalty or financial relationship with any company. His word can be trusted, however, he is strictly a dry fly trout angler. So, all his opinions are based on how a rod casts and the best line suited for the rod to cast small dries. He can’t really speak to a rod as an all rounder which many people are looking for.

Personally, I purchase trout rods for the same purpose and they seem to work just fine when I choose to fish another way.

Last edited:

suckegg

Please explain how owning DSR (been in the family since the 1800's) makes Barclay a "scumbag"?
I respectfully disagree and admit others likely see it as you do.

First, in the interest of full disclosure - I have worked with Oswego Tourism for years fro afar. The Salmon is a big deal for tourism. My brother in-law owned the property beside DSR for a couple decades. I also I happen to have met the Barclay's and have had some of interaction with his wife regarding their products as well as the rod designer.

Nothing on link rubbed me the wrong way. Barclay didn't unilaterally change the "navigable waters" rule because a citizen can't do it. The request made sense to those who make such decisions and it makes sense to me. Flow there roughly ave 500 cfs. Given the Salmon River is often combat fishing at its finest boats are no longer fitting imo and would just cause conflict and make ugly uglier. An aside - I think there are plenty of outdated regs regarding "navigable waters".

As far as money goes, it sure as hell isn't about that. Those fees may sound like a lot, but it's all relative. What it is about is preservation, some degree of control of their property, limiting the shit show and exercising their property rights. 250 anglers is a mob imo. It's not the only water where state stocked get fished on private land. You couldn't get me to fish there if you paid me, but to each his own.

It's just too popular and there is no idea solution imo.

Driftless Dan

Driftless Dan
WFF Premium
SweetandSalt does have a Douglas Sky 6wt. I don’t think he ha the Sky G but has probably at least cast it. On our annual Id/Mt road trip 3 years ago I fished his Sky one morning during a pmd hatch.

My current 690 was the Radian. My experience with the Sky influenced me to replace the Radian. SweetandSalt encouraged me to check out the new 690 Anomaly Z when it came out last fall. I did and I loved it. By the end of the year Taylor will introduce the Truth Z. It will be faster and a bit more powerful than the AZ. I am thinking about ordering one.

SweetandSalt has definitely influenced my equipment decisions over the years. He does not have any brand loyalty or financial relationship with any company. His word can be trusted, however, he is strictly a dry fly trout angler. So, all his opinions are based on how a rod casts and the best line suited for the rod to cast small dries. He can’t really speak to a rod as an all rounder which many people are looking for.

Personally, I purchase trout rods for the same purpose and they seem to work just fine when I choose to fish another way.
My dream would be to fish with Sweetandsalt one day! Or even just watch him fish for a while.

NukeLDO

WFF Premium
Among many others including Scott and Sage, I have a 5wt Sky G in my quiver, and love it. Light and responsive.

suckegg

I bought the 6wt Sky G rod specifically for trout streamer fishing so I got the fighting butt version.

I have both The 6 and 8wt versions for the record. Upon the 6wt’s arrival I was anxious to try it as we all are with new tools/toys. I grabbed 4 reels with various 6wt sinking lines. Off to the Yakima I went. First up was ARC’s 15’ Type 6 sink tip line (I think it was made by Air Flow before Mayfly bought the company). Having tried many lines on many rods over the years I was pleasantly surprise to hit such a solid match out of the gate. The Sky G handled that line flawlessly. It possesses plenty of muscle for clean, crisp pick/ups yet it feels very light when casting. Additionally it will carry plenty of line, probably more than makes sense given this was a type 6 tip @ 15’ long. Couldn’t fathom how the combo could be better. Just handled like dream.

Next up was several of SA’s progressive sink lines from the Sonar series. They all handled fabulously, whether it was the hover/2/4 or 3/5/7 or Sink 30 Clear Tip at 250 grains. Matches made in heaven.

Regarding backbone and fighting fish I felt it had all you could expect for a 6wt.
Everybody I had try it no matter which of those lines loved it. Temperament is very even keeled, predictable and forgiving.

I’m left feeling like I should buy a second one because I like having a couple different lines within reach so I can address different depths and currents as things change when on a boat.

Haven’t tried a dry line as I have other rod/combos for that.

My 2 cents worth.
24876E8E-2293-49A8-84B1-1D7BD8735239.jpeg

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts