Gear 5wt glass rod recommendations

Questions about flyfishing gear, camping gear, whatever.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
My wife has seen a bunch of adds come up and figured out I've been looking at glass rods. She said if I wanted we could do one for my birthday. I really like Orvis rods and have looked at the 8' 5wt superfine glass. Also been looking at the reference grade Epic Fastglass which has good reviews, and is $400 right now. The north fork composites looks like a winner also. And then everybody seems to like their Steffen's, although not sure 4/5 or 5/6.
You folks know the kind of waters I fish, the size of fish, and the flies I fish. The wind does often blow 10-15mph. What would you pick?

Last edited:

David Loy

Senior Moment
Yeah, I found it closer maybe to a 6, but not something overweighted. I know the Elite is a bit, like the Gold. Bottom line, we’re all enough different that my shoes wouldn’t fit you or Tom.
I swapped my 5/6 about 3 years back, but wouldn’t have if Shane had built it.

MGTom

Living at the place of many waters
WFF Premium
Thanks guys. I got a 5wt wulff bamboo, a 6 wt sylk, a 5wt/s3 15' sink tip rio in touch, plus 1/2 doz other 6's to try to start. Usually takes a dozen or so outings for me to really get an idea of what I need for what I'm doing, just lawn casting doesn't translate well for me. I haven't had a peach line in quite some time.
But I got the grandkids tomorrow afternoon and friday/saturday while the folks go hunting, so may be delayed a bit.

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
Thanks guys. I got a 5wt wulff bamboo, a 6 wt sylk, a 5wt/s3 15' sink tip rio in touch, plus 1/2 doz other 6's to try to start. Usually takes a dozen or so outings for me to really get an idea of what I need for what I'm doing, just lawn casting doesn't translate well for me. I haven't had a peach line in quite some time.
But I got the grandkids tomorrow afternoon and friday/saturday while the folks go hunting, so may be delayed a bit.
If you try the 6wt sylk and like it, then you'll like the peach. Very similar taper.

Eastside

You have a supportive wife. Mine is as well. Mark

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts