Lake Boat - help me find a different one.

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Premium
Found one for ya, it's a beauty!!

cheers

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
Everyone has been so helpful in providing suggestions. TYVM! ! As @Greg Armstrong said: looking is 50% of the fun. I agree!

So I have been researching all those suggestions for last few days.

@kmudgn said he fishes 95% of the time by himself. That also applies to me. Hmmmm...

@Dustin Bise suggested to get two smaller boats. This got me thinking. I already have a boat. Why not get a smaller one just for me?

@Richard E also provided some valuable input and focus. And here I always thought his authoritative advice was just rods. He knows his boats also.

@Old406Kid input and pics was a great help also.

On a side note: When I was growing up our family had a 6' fiberglass dingy that held my dad and me. I used to go fishing in it all the time in the Sound near shore. Not smart obviously but a lot of fun. We even 'towed' a 150+ lb. cement block from Normandy Park to Three Tree Point to use as an anchor to moor our Star class sail boat off shore. Oh the memories brought back from the dark reaches of my troubled mind.

So I will be looking for a boat just for me. A 6' to 8' pram or dingy. They are much lighter and fit my needs better. I really like the Spring Creek prams due to pedestal seats and stability. Makes it so much easier to swing around in the boat. A couple of questions I have about Spring Creek prams. How are they in the wind (<10mph) and do they troll okay with an electric motor?

I can use the Livingston on the rare occasion I fish with another person. I can just drag it behind my lawn tractor to move it down to the lake like I currently do.

The search continues. With everyone's help it is much more focused. TYVM!!!

Last edited:

Camp

Spring Creek trolls really well for me. There is a molded battery tray/notch in the floor right in front of the rowers seat. I had mine set up with the wiring channel that covers the wiring from that point to the transom connection of a 30lb thrust electric motor. I was using a group 24 deep cycle and could troll all day without issue.

troutpocket

Any pram without a keel gets a little squirrelly to control in the wind. My Hopper 2 was no exception. Once you get used to it it’s really not an issue. But if trolling is your primary reason for a boat, consider other options. Something that boat did very well was anchor on windy flats. Had some great days doing that!

Greg Armstrong

WFF Premium
Have you considered building one? There are plenty of plans available to create a simple, lightweight skiff that doesn’t require a ton of skill to build. I built this one from a kit from the long ago closed Wooden Boat store in Seattle. Full size patterns are available for similar designs though, a variety of kits are out there 075609AD-E4C3-429F-AFFE-BB2D5257F94A.jpeg too.

Mark Kadoshima

Have you considered building one? There are plenty of plans available to create a simple, lightweight skiff that doesn’t require a ton of skill to build. I built this one from a kit from the long ago closed Wooden Boat store in Seattle. Full size patterns are available for similar designs though, a variety of kits are out there View attachment 298979 too.
That is gorgeous! Do you know how much it weighs?

Mark Kadoshima

Everyone has been so helpful in providing suggestions. TYVM! ! As @Greg Armstrong said: looking is 50% of the fun. I agree!

So I have been researching all those suggestions for last few days.

@kmudgn said he fishes 95% of the time by himself. That also applies to me. Hmmmm...

@Dustin Bise suggested to get two smaller boats. This got me thinking. I already have a boat. Why not get a smaller one just for me?

@Richard E also provided some valuable input and focus. And here I always thought his authoritative advice was just rods. He knows his boats also.

@Old406Kid input and pics was a great help also.

On a side note: When I was growing up our family had a 6' fiberglass dingy that held my dad and me. I used to go fishing in it all the time in the Sound near shore. Not smart obviously but a lot of fun. We even 'towed' a 150+ lb. cement block from Normandy Park to Three Tree Point to use as an anchor to moor our Star class sail boat off shore. Oh the memories brought back from the dark reaches of my troubled mind.

So I will be looking for a boat just for me. A 6' to 8' pram or dingy. They are much lighter and fit my needs better. I really like the Spring Creek prams due to pedestal seats and stability. Makes it so much easier to swing around in the boat. A couple of questions I have about Spring Creek prams. How are they in the wind (<10mph) and do they troll okay with an electric motor?

I can use the Livingston on the rare occasion I fish with another person. I can just drag it behind my lawn tractor to move it down to the lake like I currently do.

The search continues. With everyone's help it is much more focused. TYVM!!!
Just a thought. I believe someone else suggested this, but since you've decided on a one person craft, I use a Hobie Compass. I can stand in it (no windy conditions), anchor, troll forwards or backwards, weighs a hundred pounds fully loaded with a fish finder, don't need a boat ramp, and it fits in the back of my pickup. I can use it pretty comfortably on the sound and even at Sekiu. You can outfit an motor for it if wanted.
It can make any fishing exciting for better or worse if not paying attention as you can tip out of it...personal experience! It's always involved reaching around for a beer.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Premium
Just a thought. I believe someone else suggested this, but since you've decided on a one person craft, I use a Hobie Compass. I can stand in it (no windy conditions), anchor, troll forwards or backwards, weighs a hundred pounds fully loaded with a fish finder, don't need a boat ramp, and it fits in the back of my pickup. I can use it pretty comfortably on the sound and even at Sekiu. You can outfit an motor for it if wanted.
It can make any fishing exciting for better or worse if not paying attention as you can tip out of it...personal experience! It's always involved reaching around for a beer.
@Rocking Chair Fan
This is exactly what E and I were using. Again, you're welcome to try mine out next time!

That takes real talent to tip a Compass! Was the beer in a pony keg??

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting

I was quite impressed with the Hobie Compass when @Northern and her friend came over fishing and utilized them with great transportability to the lake and effectiveness on the water. Unfortunately the capacity is an issue with regards to me...

candr

Modified Mcinnis Bateau. Walter Mcinnis was a yacht designer in the 40s and he also liked fly fishing. He designed this boat for his own fly fishing. Flat bottom, 12.5 feet long, 50 inch wide at the oarlock (basically a wide flat bottom canoe). Built with modern materials it should come in under 60 lbs so easily car topped. Unfortunately they had limited production so now you need to buy plans and build your own. I’m 75% done with my strip build now and hope to launch soon. Photo below is a similar boat.

1634502188472.jpeg

Mark Kadoshima

@Rocking Chair Fan
This is exactly what E and I were using. Again, you're welcome to try mine out next time!

That takes real talent to tip a Compass! Was the beer in a pony keg??
Wasn’t paying enough attention…boat wake got me from the side just as I was reaching around for my cooler…slo mo roll into the water. Good thing I was wearing a dry suit as it was November on the Sound chasing chums.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
Like Greg, I built my pram 16 years ago with minimal tools. It has plenty of rocker and three runners underneath for track ability. It weighs around 66 lbs and cost me $377 to build, it took about two weeks after work and my son‘s baseball.....the water is still on the outside!
071F00D7-1BFC-46E6-AB0C-F5812E26C644.jpeg

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts