How about some UNDER-Rated fly fishing brands

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Premium
Here's another one. I use these boxes for all of my dries when I take them out of bigger boxes and put them in my vest. Made in the states as well.

☆☆☆☆☆
I use one of these to carry all my Tenkara flies. Small, cheap. I put a strip of magnetic tape in each compartment, and a small piece of braid as a "lid stop" to hold the lid open at about 95°. I've never had any flies "fly out" like I have with a Wheatley that has spring loaded compartment covers. I also put Velcro hooks on the bottom to temporarily hold the box on my sling pack when slung to the front and Velcro loops on the top for a fly patch that both act as a 3rd hand.

Last edited:

S.O.S.Canada

paralysis via analysis
Pieroway rods.
I have found Geoff to be both reliable and accommodating.
Plus I appreciate the fact he always does as best he can to make himself directly available to his customers if questions or concerns arise.
Also, I feel my confidence in his rods is well placed if other independent guys like Jerry French and Brian Niska choose to partner with him for development and/or design.

cdnred

P-Line. Buy it by the spool and dig the holder although the black nipple things are lame.

But it is perfect for the boat.

41XMkwY2YqL._AC_SX425_.jpg
Ya gotta love it for keeping fly line spools organized plus it's easy to pack away. I've got one already but looking to buy 2 more..

Old406Kid

If underrated means they don’t deserve the hate, may I present to you Korkers wading boots. Yes, the gen 1 sole was weird, and they’ve had durability issues, but I’ve gotten four years of hard use out of my latest pair. I love being able to swap rubber for studded felt soles.
I initially bought the cheap Greenbacks as back ups and they, along with the Vibram sole with aluminum bars, have become my favorites.

Jake

Co-ho, Silver! Away!
Maxima. You can buy big sized spools of mono down to 2#, and in 1# increments between 6# and 2# in both ultragreen and chameleon.

Solid bang for your buck and best by test!
^ This. All of my leaders (bonefish to barracuda, trout to tarpon) use Chameleon in at least part (if not all).

mcswny

^ This. All of my leaders (bonefish to barracuda, trout to tarpon) use Chameleon in at least part (if not all).
I’ve actually wondered about this. Specifically for trout. Is there no concern that it’s not a “clear” mono?

Jake

Co-ho, Silver! Away!
I’ve actually wondered about this. Specifically for trout. Is there no concern that it’s not a “clear” mono?
Not for me. But I run clear tippet as my last section(s) in freshwater. In Puget Sound they don’t seem to care, so I get lazy and just throw a fairly short (less than 6’) of 10 or 12lb chameleon.

I love chameleon for its balance of stiffness, abrasion resistance, diameter, and price.

In freshwater, lately, it’s been:

Dry Fly Leader:
20” - 15lb Maxima chameleon
20” - 12lb Maxima chameleon
8-10” - 8lb Maxima chameleon
8-10” - 8lb Gold Stren (love it. Also underrated)
12” - 2x nylon (not fluoro) tippet
12” - 3x nylon (not fluoro) tippet
12-14” - 4x nylon (not fluoro) tippet
18-48” - 4x/5x/6x nylon (not fluoro) tippet.

Contact Nymphing leader:
24’ - 5lb Maxima chameleon
20” - 4x sighter tippet (though I often pull this off)
4-6’ - 5x or 6x tippet length depends on depth

Nymphing (contact or indicator or streamer):
24’ - 20lb Maxima Chameleon
2’ - 10lb Maxima Chameleon.
12” - 12lb red Amnesia.
12” - 10lb gold Stren.
14” - 1x sighter tippet (often I pull this off)
4-6’ - 3/4/5/6x tippet length depends on depth.

Even my 5yo can turn over relatively large streamers with this last leader with a true 20’ fly cast and not chuck and duck. It won’t, however, roll cast.

Last edited:

mcswny

Not for me. But I run clear tippet as my last section(s) in freshwater. In Puget Sound they don’t seem to care, so I get lazy and just throw a fairly short (less than 6’) of 10 or 12lb chameleon.

I love chameleon for its balance of stiffness, abrasion resistance, diameter, and price.

In freshwater, lately, it’s been:

Dry Fly Leader:
20” - 15lb Maxima chameleon
20” - 12lb Maxima chameleon
8-10” - 8lb Maxima chameleon
8-10” - 8lb Gold Stren (love it. Also underrated)
12” - 2x nylon (not fluoro) tippet
12” - 3x nylon (not fluoro) tippet
12-14” - 4x nylon (not fluoro) tippet
18-48” - 4x/5x/6x nylon (not fluoro) tippet.

Contact Nymphing leader:
24’ - 5lb Maxima chameleon
20” - 4x sighter tippet
4-6’ - 5x or 6x tippet length depends on depth

Nymphing (contact or indicator or streamer):
24’ - 20lb Maxima Chameleon
2’ - 10lb Maxima Chameleon.
12” - 12lb red Amnesia.
12” - 10lb gold Stren.
14” - 1x sighter tippet (often I pull this off)
4-6’ - 3/4/5/6x tippet length depends on depth.

Even my 5yo can turn over relatively large streamers with this last leader with a true 20’ fly cast and not chuck and duck. It won’t, however, roll cast.

thank you so much for this, i really appreciate you taking the time to write out your formulas. I'd like to try out the freshwater for sure. When I fish streamers, I tend to just tie on a 3-6' section of flat Maxima Fluorocarbon and I have no reason to believe its not working perfectly. But I have definitely been thinking about wanting to tie my own leaders for my favorite spring creek.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts