BC road trip

Joe J

Ok, so I posted a few weeks back about Skeena lodges. After more research it seems like that might not be what I’m looking for with poor returns, ect. The Dean is my idea of paradise, but with travels, tips, ect it’s probably a $15-$20k trip for two. Doable, but not what my dad and I had in mind. As the conversation evolves, we are leaning towards a two week road trip through BC, DIY style, with maybe a guide day here and there. We would travel with my dads 30’ trailer, so storage, meals, and sleeping is a breeze. Just gotta find places to park it. If we made a loop starting in W Wa up to or around Terrace what would be your must stop locations on the way there or back? Sight seeing, hiking, and of course fishing. Species is not all THAT important, but would like a shot at salmon species, steel, or quality rainbow/cutt/ brown. Remote, unspoiled, solitude is the goal.

Buzzy

A couple of thoughts and questions:

Are you planning on doing this trip in the near future, this fall? - I've never been to the Skeena or Dean but I've fished BC Classified Waters for steelhead on a once famous river known to have large steelhead. This time of year you might see a cold snap so severe that rivers will begin icing up. Do you have tire chains for all four wheels?

Are you both fully vaccinated? - Chances are you could be "randomly" selected for further Covid testing at the border crossing and depending on where you cross you might have to schedule a virtually monitored self collect walked through step by step and then get the "test kit" picked up by FedEx or delivered to an approved pharmacy. (I almost forgot, you are required to have a negative results PCR test no more than 72 hours before you cross).

Good luck with your trip (not trying to throw water on your fire....).

Best
Patrick

Last edited:

Joe J

A couple of thoughts and questions:

Are you planning on doing this trip in the near future, this fall? - I've never been to the Skeena or Dean but I've fished BC Classified Waters for steelhead on a once famous river known to have large steelhead. This time of year you might see a cold snap so severe that rivers will begin icing up. Do you have tire chains for all four wheels?

Are you both fully vaccinated? - Chances are you could be "randomly" selected for further Covid testing at the border crossing and depending on where you cross you might have to schedule a virtually monitored self collect walked through step by step and then get the "test kit" picked up by FedEx or delivered to an approved pharmacy. (I almost forgot, you are required to have a negative results PCR test no more than 72 hours before you cross).

Good luck with your trip (not trying to throw water on your fire....).

Best
Patrick
Thanks Patrick, great advice and insight. We are targeting next July/August of 21. We are both fully vaxxed.

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Premium
JoeJ, I did BC twice, once with each grandson. If I were closer, as in Washington, I’d be there every year, spring and fall. Literally thousands of lakes and streams, quality fish but not stupid like Alaska ( some Alaska fish). Kamloops region, Caribou, Fernie, Cranbrook (?). I joined FlyBC forum and got a lot of advise including offers to meet up. Some good people there, like this forum.
Lakes fish best from ice out or shortly after to about mid-June, depending on elevation for water temperatures, then again in the fall. Rivers are subject to high water from runoff, weather, elevation and snowpack dependent.
Some coastal streams may have an egg drop from spawning Sockeye that you could hit and fishing would be excellent but it’s all about timing.
a 30’ trailer will be problematic on some of the access roads to less pressured lakes. BC logging roads are narrow and heavily used at times. There are excellent campgrounds that you could set up in and use it as a base for day trips.
This is very useful:

the attached link has some good information but is six years old. Some lakes experience winter kill and road access may change.

Another site with generally good information, can be dated as to lake conditions:

some form of boat will be very useful as will a depth finder for finding contour of lakes. Do your research, fishing those lakes can be tricky, sometimes the fish will cluster in one small area and rest of lake seems dead. The payout is healthy and sometimes very large trout in some beautiful country. I suggest starting at one of the larger, popular lakes that consistently produce and hire a guide for a day or two. They are reasonable, especially considering the exchange rate. Invaluable tips and information.

look up Brian Chan and Phil Rowley (sp?), two very good websites.

cdnred

A friend of mine from Alberta has a buddy that has a fishing lodge, White Bear Fly Fishing Lodge up in Terrace, British Columbia. He highly recommended them to me but with the current COVID, I never got the opportunity to try them. They offer walk ‘n wade, floats down the river, jet boat (tours/kayak transportation) fishing trips, accommodations (Airbnb), hiking tours, heli fishing, heli adventures/tours. They fish more the Skeena but would be open to others so it might not be where you were hoping to go..? Send them an email or chat on the phone with them about what packages they'd have to offer you, what the current fishing is like and where they'd recommend you go..

Their rate was $500 a day (that's what they quoted me back in Nov 2020) for guided fishing, I don't image their rate to be much higher now. They have a spot at the lodge that you can hook up your travel trailer for $30 a night if that's of interest otherwise there's a few campsites in the area they could recommend. I was quoting rates in Canadian dollars as I'm a Canadian so I'm not sure if the rates will differ once they hear you're American..?

Owner: Jake and Brenda Markham
email: [email protected]
phone: 780-542-9069

edit: rate of $500 per day would be for up to 2 fishermen as that's how I've always been charged when I've booked a day fishing with a guide but ask just in case..

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

WFF Premium
If you're going to do a loop and it is in late summer early fall (ie, before mid October), be sure you loop through the Fernie area!!!!!

cheers

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts