Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

US is opening foreign travel to US on Nov. 8th for vaccinated people

3K views 68 replies 25 participants last post by  Jack MeHoff 
#1 ·
#7 ·
I hope it helps the Pt. Roberts folks get to the US.

Also hope it also allows many more families to get together especially during the forthcoming holidays...
The economy of many small towns on both sides of the border has been devastated. One of my favorite places to eat in a small BC town was closed, out of business last week when I was there. Let's hope this opening of the border both ways encourages travel. Thanks for posting RCF/Patrick

#10 ·
The issue is that once it opens, it allows Canadians to enter the US with proof of 2 vacinations. From my understanding, Canadians returning besides showing vacination proof we must still take a COVID-19 test to be allowed re-entry. Surely proof of 2 vacinations should be sufficient enough. Hopefully by Nov 8th, it will be ruled unnecessary and no longer required. Myself, I don't feel that is fair to Canadians crossing over for only a one day visit. If I was to come across and spend several days or weeks, I can understand it but not merely for one day. Canada needs to do away with the COVID-19 test all together. This merely creates another headache for us traveling that will just create further frustrations..

edit: I mean if a COVID-19 test is not required to enter US, only having to show proof of having both vacinations why should Canadians returning after only be away one day be required to have a COVID-19 test to re-enter Canada..?
As of now Canada requires travelers entering Canada (by car - that's all I'm refering to) to be fully vaccinated >14 days before entering and to have a negative results from a PCR Covid test <72 hours before crossing. We must also file a 14-day quarantine plan (with a legitimate address) if we were to be exposed while in Canada. Ah - then there's the random "test kit" when we cross but that's another subject (and I hope it goes away before next spring).

Your scenario does seem to make a shopping trip - day trip - difficult.

I'm thankful that the US is opening its border to our friends from the north.

#19 ·
I very much agree with both borders open now to only fully vaccinated non-essential travelers, that's a great step forward. I just hope Canada will drop the COVID-19 test requirement for making it easier for daily crossings and avoid major tie-ups at border points. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that this will change in the days leading up to Nov 8th. I'm emailing my government representative to vent my displeasure with how things are being done..

There are a number of essential workers crossing the border everyday (from what I've been told) that aren't fully vaccinated (how they're allowed entry is beyond me). Essential workers crossing the border everyday whether fully vaccinated or not aren't required to provide a COVID-19 test or 14 day quarantine plan and that's my major complaint. If they insist on this procedure for non-essential travelers, then it should be fair/equal treatment across the board for everyone..
The USA requires a negative Covid test to enter the States regardless of citizenship status.

#28 · (Edited)
Well, since there are enough people in TX that refuse to get vaccinated, perhaps they could pass all of those extra shots out to that group of immigrants who happen to be attempting to escape extreme violence in their country of birth. From the sounds of things, that alone should resonate with some folks on here.

Well, jokes don't always land with everyone....but to me, who grew up in TX, I laughed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#30 · (Edited)
As for DWIs. If you get one and are an American it's usually a 10 year ban from going to Canada. But they don't catch you everytime you cross, and if you try to cross they just refuse your entry. And it's not illegal to attempt to cross After 10 years you're fine. No lawyer needed. Theres the actual rule but 99.9% of the time if the charge is 10 years old and you have no charges since you're fine. You can even apply for and get a nexus after 10 years (if that is the only blemish on your record).

If you're Canadian and you get one you're not banned from coming into the states.

You can get a lawyer and pay to be deemed rehabilitated after 5 years. All of the articles and stories online about permanent bans are basically ads trying to scare you into paying someone to deem you rehabilitated.

There is no way they are pulling up a 50 year old dwi charge when you try to cross the border. Not happening. If that is the only conviction your grandpa has he'd get approved for a nexus - guaranteed.

#31 ·
As for DWIs. If you get one and are an American it's usually a 10 year ban from going to Canada. But they don't catch you everytime you cross, and if you try to cross they just refuse your entry. And it's not illegal to attempt to cross After 10 years you're fine.

If you're Canadian and you get one you're not banned from coming into the states.

There is no way they are pulling up a 50 year old dwi charge when you try to cross the border. Not happening. If that is the only conviction your grandpa has he'd get approved for a nexus - guaranteed.
There is a bunch of incorrect data in your post. All of the 10 year stuff is wrong. 10 years allows for "rehabilitation" it does not allow for automatic entry.

Go sox,
cds

#39 ·
I work up in Canada from time to time, maybe once every couple years. You might be able to circle the globe with the amount of paperwork it has taken for me to cross the border with my tools and equipment approximately 5 times over the last decade and I’ve never once made it straight through without having to go inside the office and plead my case. Not very eco or user friendly Mr Trudeau. Without a doubt a bigger stack of paperwork then all of the forms, declarations, and visas for all countries and jobs I’ve done combined in the same time frame. Canada is tough!

#40 ·
I work up in Canada from time to time, maybe once every couple years. You might be able to circle the globe with the amount of paperwork it has taken for me to cross the border with my tools and equipment approximately 5 times over the last decade and I've never once made it straight through without having to go inside the office and plead my case. Not very eco or user friendly Mr Trudeau. Without a doubt a bigger stack of paperwork then all of the forms, declarations, and visas for all countries and jobs I've done combined in the same time frame. Canada is tough!
We should just take it. I mean militarily. Like go to war with Canada against their crack parade division armed forces and claim what is rightfully ours. They don't call it North America for nothing.

#42 ·
OMG! WTF! Get A Clue! Sheesh!

Canada is a beautiful country. It has one of the most if not the most welcoming people I have ever met. I have traveled a lot around the world and they do not even come close to the disparaging remarks above. Travel abroad and see how Canadiens are respected vs. how the US is respected.. Not even close! Get a clue people! They are a proud people and country and it is well deserved. They earned it!

Yes, they have a great system to check us out. They know when I last traveled there, where I stayed and what I did. They utilize all available information to determine if you should be allowed in. It includes our criminal and driving record. Good for them! Each visit is fully checked out. They know all and verify everything. Big KUDOs to them. They know this because the US provides the information to them.

If we could only do the same. How many people traveling to the US have any traceability once entering our country? How many people have just ghosted within our country never to be found again? Too many to count!

Enough said. GAFC people!

#44 ·
Whatever. If we take that place all that stuff is ours. We can enslave the Canadian people and force them to work in our pork production facilities. It won't be hard. Canada is the skinny nerd kid playing hall monitor of nations. I don't feel bad one bit. The only thing decent out of Canada is Bryan Adams and The Trainer Park Boys. The rest is Justin Trudeau embarrassing himself and his wet paper tiger nation by playing dress up and dancing badly. He's lucky to have escaped India with his life the way he insulted those people.

#45 ·
And I can't even take credit for the SP vid. Fucking Matt Stone and Trey Parker. I did hear once that they were in trouble with the Canadian government because of their jokes....but I can't remember the source, probably FB or some internet forum, or at least a place like that with a lot of integrity.

#54 ·
I always pull up these stats when I am 'comparing' things with my good canadian pals throughout the years before we start riding the 'we are better than you' line for social services, quality of life etc..

Land mass is pretty equal US to Canada

Population has the US about 9x that of Canada

90% of Canada's population is within 100 miles of the US border

Hockey, RUSH and back bacon are wildcards

Alaska and Hawaii pretty much put an exclamation point on my presentation if it gets heated

Lucky we have each other for neighbors

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.