Ocean Plastic

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
How much fossil fuel did it take to collect this garbage, and what are they going to do with it now? It’s not recyclable.

cdnred

The more important part is that someone is making an effort to help cleanup the environment. You can't put a price on that irregardless of what it costs, something needs to be done..

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
The impact on animals and fish getting entangled and eating it is enormous:

Cleaning it up ---> priceless...

cdnred

That’s the point he completely missed. PS. “Irregardless” isn’t a word, but it sounds good
Is irregardless really a word?

Merriam-Webster defines irregardless as "nonstandard" but meaning the same as "regardless." "Many people find irregardless to be a nonsensical word, as the ir- prefix usually functions to indicates negation; however, in this case it appears to function as an intensifier," the dictionary writes

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Not sure how much fuel was used. Don’t really care either.
I like the fact organizations are making a effort to clean up our oceans and trying new technology to do so. Every bit helps.
It looks like they were sorting some of the plastic. Obviously not all of it but why couldn’t some of plastic be recycled?
SF

Zak

WFF Premium
I like the fact organizations are making a effort to clean up our oceans and trying new technology to do so. Every bit helps.
It looks like they were sorting some of the plastic. Obviously not all of it but why couldn’t some of plastic be recycled?
SF
I really wish somebody would invent a plastic that can be modified to have different properties but can be recycled in all of its forms. Having 10000 kinds of plastic is just confusing.

Buzzy

SF
I don't see any quick or short term solution to ending the use of plastic but I think you have to be blind not to see how bad this material is in the ocean. I agree with you, Brian, let's do what we can to clean up the ocean. If recycling isn't feasible, I'd rather see this material, collected, compressed and landfilled than killing fish and wildlife.

wanderingrichard

Ok, how many of these "cleaning systems" go deep enough to capture the micro plastics that fill the water column down to the bottom?? Sure cleaning up the upper layers is a good start but there's even more down deeper.

Swimmy

I grew up in the heart of the carpet industry and like to stay up with the industry. There are some cool things being done with recycled plastics right now.

One of the mills figured out a way to recycle green plastic bottles into a commercial carpet tile cushion. There is little demand for the green bottles so this is a cool way to eliminate from the waste stream.

The same company now has a hybrid flooring made completely of plastic bottles.

Shaw-Contract-Neocon-2021-Media-Kit-_-Bottle-Floor-_-3.jpg

One of the plants also runs completely on solar.

sustainability-hero-shaw-solar-install.jpeg

This is the private sector finding ways to eliminate waste and to limit the footprint. I love this kind of stuff.

dustinchromers

I really wish somebody would invent a plastic that can be modified to have different properties but can be recycled in all of its forms. Having 10000 kinds of plastic is just confusing.

Having standards and grades would be beneficial. So many plastic types and cell phone charging cords are an annoyance at the very least.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts