NFR Why do clerks, grocery store checkout folk, and baristas ask....

Swimmy

To be clear...I am consistently pleasant when asked this inane question, but it's also consistantly amusing how completely transparent it's of corporate origin rather than actual personal interest regarding my utterly fascinating plans for the remainder of the day.

Could some of you be so naive to believe otherwise? That's rather cute!

I'm now curious, do you have anything else fun planned for the rest of the day?

Swimmy

I'm willing to put up with just about any corporate small talk.

However, if we want to get real....there is nothing more frustrating than getting stuck with the cart that has the busted wheel.

Just the thought of it is making me anxious.
AHrY34WL_o.gif

jasmillo

WFF Premium
I worked a few retail jobs back in the day. It’s pushed on folks to create small talk with customers. Although I agree it’s really nothing to get fired up about as a customer, I do think companies should train employees to read customers better. It’s really easy to spot someone not interested in small talk (no eye contact, lack of engagement, etc.). Ring them up and send them on their way.

Lots of things going on in people’s lives that could make them uninterested in random small talk with a stranger. Which by the way is the meanest but most enjoyable way to mess with an overly talkative retail person displaying forced interest in your day. Launch into a horrific story about why your day has been horrible….”well, I just got off the phone with my wife, apparently Spot got off his leash and was running loose in the road when …..”. If your a good actor and can cry on demand, even better :).

Krusty

Outta Here
I worked a few retail jobs back in the day. It’s pushed on folks to create small talk with customers. Although I agree it’s really nothing to get fired up about as a customer, I do think companies should train employees to read customers better. It’s really easy to spot someone not interested in small talk (no eye contact, lack of engagement, etc.). Ring them up and send them on their way.

Lots of things going on in people’s lives that could make them uninterested in random small talk with a stranger. Which by the way is the meanest but most enjoyable way to mess with an overly talkative retail person displaying forced interest in your day. Launch into a horrific story about why your day has been horrible….”well, I just got off the phone with my wife, apparently Spot got off his leash and was running loose in the road when …..”. If your a good actor and can cry on demand, even better :).
I suppose I could regale them with my preparations for my impending colonoscopy exam, and provide them an absolutely riveting account of my previous one...but that would just be cruel.

Last edited:

Shad

Another thumbs down for gimpy shopping carts, and new ones for long lines, self-checkout, and shoppers who bring 50 coupons, dispute half the charges, then pay with personal checks....

As for the topic at hand, I am disappointed to realize that I'm not the only person cute checkout girls are asking about what their plans are for later. Although I'm not often interested and far too shy to pursue it, I liked to think they were hinting they might like a date. Thanks for crushing my ego, everyone.

I appreciate a little small talk. Those of you who don't should just ask the next clerk who asks you that question out on a date. Assuming that's not what they were after (which is probably safe), they'll be that much less likely to ask it in the future.

flybill

A collector never stops collecting!
WFF Premium
I suppose I could regale them with my preparations for my impending colonoscopy exam....but that would just be cruel.
And then they could tell you how there employer won't give them enough hours to qualify for medical insurance, and even if they did, they couldn't afford the premiums anyway..

I really don't see how a little small talk annoys some of you.. the person at the register is just trying to be pleasant! Ignore it if you need too.. or better yet say thank you or "have a nice day!".. How hard is that?

Or just isolate yourself in your bunker and order everything online! Easy enough to do.. although you have to deal with those pesky delivery drivers now... will it ever end? :cool:

Krusty

Outta Here

You mean those young ladies at Hooters are only toying with the affections of a septuagenarian?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts