NFR Why do clerks, grocery store checkout folk, and baristas ask....

dflett68

To be clear...I am consistently pleasant when asked this inane question, but it's also consistantly amusing how completely transparent it's of corporate origin rather than actual personal interest regarding my utterly fascinating plans for the remainder of the day. The employee is just trying to follow orders.

Could some of you be so naive to believe otherwise? That's rather cute!
what are your feelings about the young clerks who aren't trained to be polite and/or don't follow orders? PLENTY of that out there, so i'm grateful for the businesses that train and require these behaviors. kids aren't learning them online or at home, that's for sure. some do go too far for my comfort zone, but comfort zones are over-valued.

Rob Allen

Good gods! It may be part of their training to engage with a customer, and suggestions of topics to engage customers, but what I've found is if you are engaging as well, both parties walk away with a good feeling. Did you consider, that by engaging with someone, they might find something inside of themselves which could further them in a career, or just make them realize that they like to interact with others.

that's the training I ignore and I treat the customers the way I want to be treated.

dflett68

that's the training I ignore and I treat the customers the way I want to be treated.
the best training of all....unless the way you want to be treated is to be ignored and allowed to zone into your phone and wish you were somewhere else...

IveofIone

WFF Premium
My beef with grocery store checkout folks is that they are disappearing. Grocery shopping is grueling anyway, especially for me. It is an 85 mile round trip to the market over a mountain pass about every 2 weeks in all weather. I shop at Walmart, Safeway and Super 1 to get the selection of things I need. Walmart has recently shit in their own mess kit by installing mostly self checkout stations and making it even more difficult to check out. Before they at least had the courtesy to check you out and bag your groceries, now the CEO's of these companies have found a way to afford a bigger yacht, a faster jet, another home in Monaco and join another golf club in Scotland. All at our expense of course.So why shop at Walmart at all? Well, an item I buy there may cost $1.43, $1.79 at Safeway, $1.97 at Super 1 and $2.29 here in Ione. It adds up when you are on a fixed income.

Krusty's question was simply a rhetorical one-an observation of a new corporate trend. In real life he is a remarkably courteous and considerate man and certainly not eligible for character assassination that some have suggested. The holier-than-thou segment showed up quickly on this thread, never missing an opportunity to pontificate on their own behalf.

cdnred

Soon everything will be self checkout...problem solved.;)
I avoid the self checkout to a high degree only if nothing else is available. Even there the checkout computer will say "have a nice day" after you've checked out. No avoiding the pleasantness others try to force on you, just accept in the manner it was meant to be given and move on..

jasmillo

WFF Premium
You mean those young ladies at Hooters are only toying with the affections of a septuagenarian?

As you mentioned, regale them with a story of your colonoscopy journey and minimize tipping. Then see how much attention you get. That will answer your query ;).

Matt B

WFF Premium
<snip> No avoiding the pleasantness others try to force on you, just accept <snip>

Hilarious concept. Entertaining thread.
I think Krusty knew the answer to his own question at the get-go here. Who knew that "fun plans" would be such a polarizing topic? I hope you all have a great day filled with the fulfilment of fun plans...even if you have to accept a whole heap of pleasantness piled upon you!

Yard Sale

Huge Member
I avoid the big chain grocery store in town for just this reason. Grumpy checkers that could give a crap. Long lines because only 2 lanes are open. Everybody looking mad and impatient.

My local has had the same checkers since I've been going, for the most part. Even better is I've seen some of the baggers move up to become checkers. Typically the baggers are high school kids and the store put up big signs congratulating them of any school or sports achievements. The check out line is usually buzzing as most people are local and know their checkers. Some speaking spanish. You can always spot the tourists, they'll be staring at their phone.

They installed a few self check stations but they do such a good job of staffing that the lines are short and its quicker to go through a checker. Especially if you get lots of produce as I usually do.

I always keep the heavy stuff in the cart and grab what doesn't get bagged as it comes through. Anything I can do to make their day a little better.

And I always, always, ALWAYS make sure to look the bagger in the eye and say thank you.

snarlac

To be clear...I am consistently pleasant when asked this inane question, but it's also consistantly amusing how completely transparent it's of corporate origin rather than actual personal interest regarding my utterly fascinating plans for the remainder of the day. The employee is just trying to follow orders.

Could some of you be so naive to believe otherwise? That's rather cute!
Corporate origin? Orders? Transparent how? You read minds, or have planted recording devices in Temple Coffee training sessions? I didn't think so. Probably an acquired social trait, such as EO Wilson observed in ants. And a west coast thing, which dominates these fora...start that in NYC and you'll get spit in the tip jar. Annoying customers and lengthening checkout wait doesn't attract biz, it drives it away.

Krusty

Outta Here
I avoid the big chain grocery store in town for just this reason. Grumpy checkers that could give a crap. Long lines because only 2 lanes are open. Everybody looking mad and impatient.

My local has had the same checkers since I've been going, for the most part. Even better is I've seen some of the baggers move up to become checkers. Typically the baggers are high school kids and the store put up big signs congratulating them of any school or sports achievements. The check out line is usually buzzing as most people are local and know their checkers. Some speaking spanish. You can always spot the tourists, they'll be staring at their phone.

They installed a few self check stations but they do such a good job of staffing that the lines are short and its quicker to go through a checker. Especially if you get lots of produce as I usually do.

I always keep the heavy stuff in the cart and grab what doesn't get bagged as it comes through. Anything I can do to make their day a little better.

And I always, always, ALWAYS make sure to look the bagger in the eye and say thank you.
I'm always very pleasant to baggers...one of them may one day be doing open heart surgery (or something of that sort) on me one day down the road.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts