Resident Coho Fly?

Jake

Co-ho, Silver! Away!
Squimp (squimps? squimpi? squimpuses?)

1635143859128.jpeg
Or some shrimp variant. I’m always experimenting with new shrimp patterns and ditching poor-performing ones. For example, these are about to go on the cork board of shame. The “tying time : fish caught” ratio is skewed the wrong direction.

B9558928-5904-40DA-A28E-AD4D4B75BD30.jpeg

High Flyin

My all time biggest confidence fly for winter salt ressie fishing.

A generous boat owner gave one to me 3 or 4 winters ago at a boat ramp. I must have caught 30 ressies on that particular fly. Multiple sharpenings before I lost that fly.

I have a hard time finding them in local fly shops. I do not tie my own flies. I used to travel all over Puget sound for my job. Stopped at many fly shops with no luck at obtaining a white dehlia's fly
I always have spares so when I bump into you again I'll be happy to replenish your stash and even give you a spare. :)

Buzzy

The rezzies are absolutely hammering juvenile anchovies right now. They are morphing into little footballs. Delia squid or silver surfer as mentioned should work fine. Although not matching the hatch is a successful technique too.
I made the trip to Hood Canal last week, as were were beaching the boat at the take out I noticed a school of anchovies in the foam line right at the shoreline. Naturally, none of us had thought to try an anchovie pattern as we cast and cast our way along the shore.

I did fish a Ferguson's green (and orange) and silver - was my go to fly back in the day.

rotato

I made the trip to Hood Canal last week, as were were beaching the boat at the take out I noticed a school of anchovies in the foam line right at the shoreline. Naturally, none of us had thought to try an anchovie pattern as we cast and cast our way along the shore.

I did fish a Ferguson's green (and orange) and silver - was my go to fly back in the day.
Sometimes you can’t out sell the natural when it’s in such abundance.
white gurgler?

wetswinger

I agree with Jake. The Squimp pattern was my most successful fly of all last Winter. I even tied some up with different colors and had good results with a yellow chenille body also. Then the next best was anything in white. An all white clouser, bugger, etc. Been having success lately with a simple beadhead all white arctic fox with some silver flash. Like a bunny leech but with bright white fox instead. The foxy leech.

Attachments

• 20211025_083045.jpg
    20211025_083045.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 45

Buzzy

Sometimes you can’t out sell the natural when it’s in such abundance.
white gurgler?
I have a number of gurglers in my fly box but haven't ever actually fished one. I wonder why a white gurger when these minnows appeared dark to me (of course I didn't see their bellies)? One things for sure, we have a never ending choice of what to offer our SRC and rezzies... (there are times I truly do miss living on the wet side).

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I have a number of gurglers in my fly box but haven't ever actually fished one. I wonder why a white gurger when these minnows appeared dark to me (of course I didn't see their bellies)? One things for sure, we have a never ending choice of what to offer our SRC and rezzies... (there are times I truly do miss living on the wet side).

Pat,
White, Pearl or silver just seem to be good color choices when imitating our local baitfish.
Depending on the size, anchovies can look dark on top but are very silver on the sides. The small ones look almost transparent and you can notice just a spot of red on them from their gills.
The seagulls were going crazy on them on Saturday.
A few pic from a few years ago from the canal.
SF

2C61D835-2ED8-4C39-89E0-9CBE6CB7AA7E.jpeg 4159A504-6F43-4F27-A080-AD8CE0B63018.jpeg 7FD986ED-671B-481B-BC3B-A24B082D9E14.jpeg 9453A06C-C9F8-4B10-B4F6-A60B56EE9905.jpeg

Buzzy

Pat,
White, Pearl or silver just seem to be good color choices when imitating our local baitfish.
Depending on the size, anchovies can look dark on top but are very silver on the sides. The small ones look almost transparent and you can notice just a spot of red on them from their gills.
The seagulls were going crazy on them on Saturday.
A few pic from a few years ago from the canal.
SF

View attachment 299847 View attachment 299848 View attachment 299849 View attachment 299850
Brian -
Thanks man! Much appreciated. Your photographs really help me understand what these baits look like!!
Pat

gt

overdressed flies are not your friend. look at the posted images to see how slim and short the bait fish are in real life. if you want to match the hatch, tie carefully, thin and not very long in length. this is a general statement in fly tying i have adopted after some 60 years of creating some things that actually work :)

NRC

WFF Premium
overdressed flies are not your friend. look at the posted images to see how slim and short the bait fish are in real life. if you want to match the hatch, tie carefully, thin and not very long in length. this is a general statement in fly tying i have adopted after some 60 years of creating some things that actually work :)
Overdressing is absolutely my Achilles heel in tying. Slowly getting better about it, but it’s hard to kick the habit.

If I’m targeting rezzies in winter, I’ll typically fish something with a pretty short tail. As noted by many others in many places, the little guys are bigtime tailbiters. That’d be my only hesitation with the sand lance type patterns, and the reason I prefer a squimp or a cutty bugger in most circumstances.

But when they’re hitting long silvery baitfish, this advice goes out the window.

Jake

Co-ho, Silver! Away!
If I’m targeting rezzies in winter, I’ll typically fish something with a pretty short tail. As noted by many others in many places, the little guys are bigtime tailbiters. That’d be my only hesitation with the sand lance type patterns, and the reason I prefer a squimp or a cutty bugger in most circumstances.

But when they’re hitting long silvery baitfish, this advice goes out the window.
Based on my limited experience, there's a case to be made for stinger clousers and surf candy in such situations.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts