Trip Report Kokees

tkww

And some real freaks in the 8 and 9lb range. World record at 9lb 10oz came from there. That was back in 2010. I think a 5lber would be huge currently.
They say that was from a river blockage that prevented them from swimming up river and spawning that year, so they just didn't, and hence they got an extra year of growth out of them. Sounds weird to me, but...
I wonder if it will still produce large kokes after the dam reconstruction allows for anadromous sockeye passage?
Would they stay in the lake at all? Wouldn't the entire thing just become a sockeye run?

Snopro

They say that was from a river blockage that prevented them from swimming up river and spawning that year, so they just didn't, and hence they got an extra year of growth out of them. Sounds weird to me, but...
The theory doesn't make sense to me. When they become mature and start their spawning run they are committed and will die in the Fall. No turning back for another lake year because of a blockage.

I think the huge size had to do with a perfect storm in the cyclic nature of the predator/prey relationship of kokes and mysis shrimp.

jaredoconnor

WFF Premium
Would they stay in the lake at all? Wouldn't the entire thing just become a sockeye run?

They spawn at different times of the year. Without interbreeding, I think their behavior would have to change via evolution. That would take a very long time, if it happens at all.

There's also Kokanee in Lake Sammamish and other waterways that aren't land locked, so that would suggest they're pretty happy doing their own thing.

Last edited:

Smalma

As I recall 6 or 8 years prior to that Wallowa record kokanee being caught there were major landslide on the river upstream of the reservoir which significantly impacted the survival of the kokanee eggs. As a result, the estimated year class that produced those record fish were less than 10% of "normal" or average. A typical kokanee response to lower population abundance all other things being equal is for larger individual fish. From all reports egg survival conditions have improved producing more normal abundances and a return to smaller average sized fish.

Kilchis-
Great photo of beach spawning kokanee! In many waters a portion of the kokanee/sockeye populations exhibit beach spawning behaviors. The fish target gravel areas with upwelling water (springs) which has proven to be a successful strategy depending on the circumstances for that particular water. While that behavior is call beach spawning it is really a lake spawning behavior which can occur in both shallow (visible) and deep water - where ever upwellings and gravel provide a suitable spawning situation.

Curt

Smalma

Have seen brook trout beach spawn in a number of alpine lakes. In at least one case west slope cutthroat were apparently spawning in upwellings in the adfuvial fan of a small tributary; a natural sustaining population in the lake with the afore mentioned tributary the only surface tributary.

Several times have seen chum salmon spawning in large ponds/small lakes/oxbows/sloughs and in a couple of those there were also coho spawning. In one case saw bull trout spawning in headwater pond where water flowing through a talus slope was upwelling through a small gravel substrate.

Bottom line most of our salmonids are pretty darn adaptable if given the chance.

Curt

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts