Gear lines for my moderate st croix action

Questions about flyfishing gear, camping gear, whatever.
As much as i am embarassed that i cannot afford to buy me a new fast action Sage pulse, I will continue to use my 6wt 10ft St. Croix and not really knowing what i was doing a few yrs ago i paired it with a Rio perception. i'm gonna ditch the rio to try and get easier distance reaching. Was wondering if any of you had some thoughts on what i wanted to replace the rio with? I do have a 7wt 7ft sink tip and shoots out very easily. Sometimes the line will slap the rod just above the handle from so much speed where i hardly even try. However it's sink tip. not a floating and i'm wanting to try the SA Amplitude MPX. I guess streamers for the sink tip but i'm sure the SA would do as well. Which would you use if u were nymphing? Thanks for your thoughts :) Happy Thanksgiving to all you in WA, drive safe

Rocking Chair Fan

No more hot spotting
You could also look at Cortland lines e.g. Peach. They are great on moderate action rods. I fish IM6 moderate action rods exclusively and it works great with them. For casting further it is more about technique than the actual line. Understanding how and when the rod loads and use of double hauling to be compatible with it yields distance IMHO... Maybe get some tune-up lessons with your rod will help you more. Just a thought...

Last edited:

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
To echo what Rocking Chair Fan mentions above, a good place to start might be casting lessons before thinking it's a line issue. Because you're relatively new to the sport, you likely don't have too many bad habits built up over years of doing it wrong.

Sorry, must have read another thread right before this one and was tired...

Last edited:
You could also look at Cortland lines e.g. Peach. They are great on moderate action rods. I fish IM6 moderate action rods exclusively and it works great with them. For casting further it is more about technique than the actual line. Understanding how and when the rod loads and use of double hauling to be compatible with it yields distance IMHO... Maybe get some tune-up lessons with your rod will help you more. Just a thought...
i'm able to feel the rod loading when i give my backhand and line enough time to load. i have to pay attention on every cast and to not get sloppy. Where i fish im not casting 60 ft although it feels right when I know i'm able to cast further. I learned double haul back in 2000 at pyramid lake.

To echo what Rocking Chair Fan mentions above, a good place to start might be casting lessons before thinking it's a line issue. Because you're relatively new to the sport, you likely don't have too many bad habits built up over years of doing it wrong.
the rio perception i believe was created for more short distance casting, unlike their Grand, and Gold. I've fly fished most of my life since h.s. and i'm now 64. i've hooked kings on a fly in AK, hooked 20 on the kasilof that day, landed 14. C&R. i've thrown 2" hand tied minnow clousers for stripers in CA using LC13 . I can cast okay, when i had my 9wt loomis nautikos fast action stick, i was armed!

Clarkman

Huge Fly Guy
WFF Premium
For some reason, it sounded like you were a relative newbie (maybe I had just read another thread & was really tired....my apologies)

just stay away from Rio....unless you like replacing lines frequently. Honestly though, I found the perception to be a fine distance casting line on one of my glass rods. It just never did last.

Regardless, the nice thing about moderate action rods is that they work great with a very wide range of tapers, weights, and lines...if you're a relatively competent caster.

and yep, Cortland Peach is a fantastic all around line for moderate action rods as is the Airflo Superdri Premier (no idea if it's still produced). The MPX taper is a fantastic all around line for every rod I've fished it on as well.

Last edited:

long_rod_silvers

WFF Premium
As much as i am embarassed that i cannot afford to buy me a new fast action Sage pulse, I will continue to use my 6wt 10ft St. Croix and not really knowing what i was doing a few yrs ago i paired it with a Rio perception. i'm gonna ditch the rio to try and get easier distance reaching. Was wondering if any of you had some thoughts on what i wanted to replace the rio with? I do have a 7wt 7ft sink tip and shoots out very easily. Sometimes the line will slap the rod just above the handle from so much speed where i hardly even try. However it's sink tip. not a floating and i'm wanting to try the SA Amplitude MPX. I guess streamers for the sink tip but i'm sure the SA would do as well. Which would you use if u were nymphing? Thanks for your thoughts :) Happy Thanksgiving to all you in WA, drive safe
Which St. Croix? Imperial, ultra, legend elite?

For some reason, it sounded like you were a relative newbie (maybe I had just read another thread & was really tired....my apologies)

just stay away from Rio....unless you like replacing lines frequently. Honestly though, I found the perception to be a fine distance casting line on one of my glass rods. It just never did last.

Regardless, the nice thing about moderate action rods is that they work great with a very wide range of tapers, weights, and lines...if you're a relatively competent caster.

and yep, Cortland Peach is a fantastic all around line for moderate action rods as is the Airflo Superdri Premier (no idea if it's still produced). The MPX taper is a fantastic all around line for every rod I've fished it on as well.
Others have spoke of cortlands peach colored lines too . I may give them a look. I am a newbee when it comes to the science between the tapers. There’s a lot of stuff to know.

As asked above. Which model do you have? Action of rods vary between the models.
can't believe i left that out! Imperial......i think the SA line which is half sz heavier as they say would cast much better than the rio perfeception. i'll put that on the new orvis cw reel i'm gonna get and use my 7ft sink tip on the BVK reel i have.

i need to say, my st. croix imperial has held up beautifully. it's a little whippy, but it still feels like it's performing strong

John svah

Honestly the imperials i have owned were f a s t fast fast fast. I like a sa gpx or mpx on mine. But have only owned 7’ and 9’ imperials.
But i might have a wierd perception. I have some sage vxps which are marketed as fast but i find them medium fast or even medium for graphite. My vxps are less fast action than the imperials.

Honestly the imperials i have owned were f a s t fast fast fast. I like a sa gpx or mpx on mine. But have only owned 7’ and 9’ imperials.
But i might have a wierd perception. I have some sage vxps which are marketed as fast but i find them medium fast or even medium for graphite. My vxps are less fast action than the imperials.
wow interesting.....i thought the imperials were moderate? your not weird....now i'm thinking of buying a Redington fast action CRUX! 8wt it's the only one they have in stock. i dont mind using a 8wt for snake river trout, can use it for steel if i ever get back into steelhead country.

i apologize for sounding so lame. what i did was and haven't done so since i first bought the st. croix, is a assembled it and shook 2 different ways. first one was having the rod tip down and quickly snap it up i did that a few times and it seems plenty quick, no bounce, and the tip feels like fast action. then i wiggled it up and down and i can feel the mid bend. this rod is no fast action but it will continue to do me well and once i get the SA floater, that's what i'm really looking forward to trying my casting out

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts