I need a list of Good bass flies. Whats your favorite?

I'm brand new to fishing for bass and and I need some good reliable flies, preferably easy to tie flies also. But most important they need to be effective. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brad

C Van

coming soon to a stream near you
in order:
1. woolly bugger
2. woolly bugger
3. woolly bugger
if those don't work, try a woolly bugger, olive seems to work best most of the time but I have had luck with all sorts of color, black, brown, yellow, orange, adding rubber legs helps sometimes as well

Favorite fly depends on where you want to fish and which type of bass. Smallmouth prefer a smaller pattern than do largemouth. Lake fish diet differ from stream fish. In Washington, the WDFW stomach studies reveal lake smallmouth stuff themselves with crawdads so I'd be using a crawdad pattern-which could be a brown woolly bugger about size 6 3xl.

For river smallmouth, particularly when the fall Chinook fry are outmigrating, I'd use a simple fry pattern.

Largemouth are looking for something larger like bunny leeches.

Take a look at the attachments. All of these patterns will catch fish and they are all very easy to tie.

cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
I agree that wooly buggers, in various sizes and colors (brown, black, olive, etc.),would be a great place to start. I also like damsel nymphs and adults; when damsels are hatching, throwing a nymph or adult just off the lily pads can be a blast (and you may pick up trout or sunfish if they are around). For surface action, spun deer-hair poppers are fun or you can try newer patterns built from foam. Personally, I love tossing balsa wood poppers when fishing for bass, but there is a bit a learning curve to streamline the carving and painting processes to where you are efficient. Alternatively, you can buy pre-made high-density foam bodies that simply require you to tie in a tail to the hook, glue the body to the shank, and paint if you want. Finally, it would be very nice to have a few flies with weed guards; these are perfect for casts into those open pockets deep in the lily pads.

Your email reminds me that I have some losses from last summer to replace. With this year's snow-pack, it may take quite a while for the rivers to drop into shape and lakes may be the best option for quite a while in late spring/early summer.

Steve

ceviche

Little green hard-foam frog pattern. I never tried tying one of these, but the one I got from The Morning Hatch Fly Shoppe in Tacoma was the screaming bomb. Month of July and casting to under tree branches. Bay Lake was so fast and furious, unless your parents were into mono-syllables, you couldn't say your name before another bass was on that popper. In the end, I got jaded and bored.

I agree with all of the above. Personally, I favor clousers as they are effective, nearly weedless and simple to tie (yep 'Yard even for me). One of the guys at T--'s gave me a pattern that resembles my most successful dark side bass lure, a plastic worm. Still experimenting with it.

Any of you fellow Bass Kissers want to do a spring get together?

Bart