Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Size 20 and Smaller Tax Day Swap

Swap 
4K views 63 replies 10 participants last post by  mike doughty 
#1 ·
This Swap is Full.

Dang, just what I need to get the creative juices flowing. Tying up a mess of size 20 and smaller flies.

Open to the first ten including myself, so that leaves nine slots open. Pick your tiny fly and get to tying. Flies are due to me on April 15th or before. I'll photograph the flies on the 16th and mail them out on the 17th.

This swap is open to all levels of tiers. No need to announce what fly your tying. I like surprises as much as the next guy.

Please send your flies in a suitable, crush proof container, properly toe tagged, and include the recipe, please. You can send a stamped (not metered) self addressed envelope for the return trip, or just toss a couple bucks in with your flies to cover postage and the price of the envelope.

Any takers?

1. Warren Perry - Flies are in.
2. James Mello - Flies are in.
3. Steve S - Flies are in.
4. Chadk - Flies are in.
5. Mr. Trout - Flies are in.
6. Mike Doughty - Fllies are in.
7. Davy- Flies are in.
8. Desmond Wiles - Flies are in.
9. trout990 - Flies are in.
10. VEE - Flies are in.

When you have all those itty-bitty flies tied up, ship them off to:

Ron Eagle Elk
8717 Whitewood Loop SE
Yelm, WA 98597

See less See more
#2 ·
Ron Eagle Elk said:
Dang, just what I need to get the creative juices flowing. Tying up a mess of size 20 and smaller flies.

Open to the first ten including myself, so that leaves nine slots open. Pick your tiny fly and get to tying. Flies are due to me on April 15th or before. I'll photograph the flies on the 16th and mail them out on the 17th.

This swap is open to all levels of tiers. No need to announce what fly your tying. I like surprises as much as the next guy.

Please send your flies in a suitable, crush proof container, properly toe tagged, and include the recipe, please. You can send a stamped (not metered) self addressed envelope for the return trip, or just toss a couple bucks in with your flies to cover postage and the price of the envelope.

Any takers?

1. REE
count me in! BTW, is this limited to traditional dries, or does it allow for emergers, etc?

#6 ·
James, Steve, Chad and Mr. Trout,

Glad to have you aboard. This is an any fly swap, so emergers, nymphs, chironomids, dries, terrestrials, even streamers (if you can get them that small) work for me. I just like fishing small flies.

Only five slots left open.

REE

#11 ·
Mike , Davey, Desmond, Trout990,

Welcome to the swaap. Glad to have you joining us. My wife, VEE just said she wanted in too, so we're up to 10 and closed.

Flies are due by April 15th. Looking forward to seeing what everyone sens my way.

REE

#12 ·
Hey Fellers,

Just got a PM from Warren Perry wanting to know if anyone dropped out could he get in.

Since VEE and I share fly boxes (sometimes), I'm gonna drop out, give Warren my slot and just tie a bonus fly for everyone. That okay with you guys? VEE says it's okay with her. Everyone still sends in just ten flies, get 11 back. What a deal!

REE

#15 ·
Chadk,

Usually just a slip of paper with the name of the fly and your screen name will work for a toe tag. With barbless hooks I put a small piece of tippet through the eye of the hook and tape the tippet to the tag. With barbed hooks I just jab the hook point through the tag.

Please include the reipe of the fly on a separate piece of paper so I can add that to the photo in the gallery. Most people like to have the recipe to go along with a picture of the fly.

REE

#16 ·
After experimenting with a few patterns and getting used to tieing on a size 20 hook, I think I finally have my swap pattern figured out.

I don't have a maginifer, so my next step is to use my camera to take a few close up \ macro pics. I've tied up 5 already, so I'm hoping they look good when blown up in a digi pic...

#19 ·
Okay guys, you still send in only ten flies, but you get 11 back. I like everyone to get a complete set of fllies, including one of your own. Mine submission is just a bonus. Probably so poorly tied it shouldn't be called a bonus.

Trevor, I'm expecting one fully dressed salmon fly, size 22, as a gift for the old swapmeister.

I know you guys realize I have really old eyes, so nobody send in an empty envelope and tell me you sent in size 32's.

Looking forward to seeing these.

REE

#20 ·
I finished mine last night. I'm starting to wonder about my pattern though. I started out with a pretty cool concept - but it was hard to keep it consitent looking from fly to fly. What I eventually settled on is pretty darned simple to tie, but I'm certain it will be a hit at the lakes this spring :)

But now that I look back through the gallery - I'm impressed with the quality of most of those ties. Night and day from mine. Yes, I've only been tying for less than 2 months, but I still want to give something everyone will appreciate. I think I'll tie up another set and see if it turns out better since I have the time...

#22 ·
ChadK, you've got more guts than I do, my friend.

I noticed that I neglected to put my snail mail addy in the swap announcement. It's there now.

This is already fun. I get to hear my wife, VEE, muttering about size 22 wally wings.

REE

#24 ·
I don't believe this. I've got one set of flies in my hand from ChadK and another set in the mail. Talk about your basic overachievers. I bet you guys already have your IRS refunds in the bank too.

Great job guys, like to see them early. Now the rest of us slackers have something to shoot for.

REE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.