Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Backpacking, favorite drinks?

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Shawn Seeger 
#1 ·
With two backpacking trips planned in the upcoming weeks, I'm in need of ideas for drinks while out on the trail. Anyone have favorites?

#4 ·
Vodka with lemonade mix and huckleberries if you can find them.

Or did you mean before noon? I prefer energy drink mix and water because I need all the help I can get. Cytomax (what I normally use), Accelerade, Endurox, Clif, etc. REI or any biking shop (that sells bicycles not harleys) carries them.

#8 ·
Whatever ya like and are willing to carry.

I usually freeze a big (oil can) Fosters Bitter the night before, and pack that deep in my pack next to a frozen steak. Cold beer, grilled veggies and/or some pasta, and a steak cooked over a fire makes for a good first night dinner. (check fire restrictions...)

My girlfriend likes wine (and I do, too, sometimes), so when she goes I take some along in a platypus water bag (food-grade plastic, collapses when empty, light-weight, 800 mL size holds one bottle's worth perfectly).

I usually carry a wee bit of good scotch, purely for medicinal purposes.;)

#10 ·
<Don't you dare make mixed drinks in the backcountry.>

Oh yeah, I forgot......uh....I mean, yeah, the mixxed drinks are for the little lady!:)

Sorry Skwalla I let ya down! I'll try and relcaim some man points by hammering fish on the St. Joe....I hear glow-bugs work great up there.;) ...Kidding!

#11 ·
I like to mix and match the little single serve (airplane) bottles. Also, a little secret I have that always impresses the ladies: Lt. Blender.
You can often find them at gourmet stores or Co-Ops. Basically, they are a powdered cocktail mix in a plastic (platypus like) bag. You fill it with booze and water and freeze it. Then pack it with you.

#12 ·
Coffee and whiskey sums up my normal camping liquids. On car camping trips I sometimes bring a Boat Blender and mix up marguritas. Always a hit. They're pretty cool but you need a drill with HIGH rpm to get really good froth. If you wanted to go big time, there's another model that uses a chain saw engine.

#14 ·
I like to go as light as possible so for extended trips my drink of choice is Everclear and Kool-aid. On the rocks with snow, if available. Since Everclear can't be found 'round these parts I'll go with 151 Rum as a second choice. If it is just a weekend trip and you can afford an extra bit of weight in your pack you can do a lot worse then bringing a lime, some salt, and a little Nalgene bottle of Tequila. :beer1:

#17 ·
Well LT... since your are hiking here is a favorite for me... it gets several major points done all at once....

Boiled Water
Vodka/Tequilla/Rum (in a flask)

and the best latest invention...

http://www.kraftfoods.com/CRYSTALLIGHT/MAIN.ASPX?M=PRODUCT/PRODUCTCATALOGRESULTS&SITEID=1&CATALOGTYPE=3&SUBBRANDID=1498&PageNo=1
(Crystal Light Singles) Raspberry Ice my favorites

They say to use 8oz of water... I have found 4 or 5oz works to my liking...

It is hot, sweet, and takes the edge off as night cap or morning drink....

MMMmmmmm High mountain hot beverage!

Cheers :beer2:

wabowhunter
(aka Shawn)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.