Establishing fly inventory.

Steak Daddy

Steve Daley - West Seattle Denizen
Just getting started in the sport and I'm looking to build a fly inventory. I imagine I will be fishing predominantly fresh water in the Puget Sound region.

1. What would constitute a "classic" collection?

2. Any recommendations for suppliers, online or local?

I realize that this is a very open ended request with vast possibilities for answers. How about a suggestion for "can't do withouts."

Thanks,

Steve

Calvin1

Steve,

I'm certainly no expert, and depending on the type of fishing that you enjoy, the recommendations are likely to be different. A generic selection might include the following:

Adams - Classic Mayfly attractor pattern in sizes from 14 - 18
Elk Hair Caddis - Sizes 12 - 16
Gold Ribbed Hairs Ear - Sizes 12 - 16
Pheasant Tail - Sizes 12 - 16
Soft Hackles - Various Colors and Sizes

That's a short generic list. Someone will definetly be giving you some streamer advice, and this by no means is a comprehensive listing of what you need or should have.

Calvin

Rob Blomquist

Formerly Tight Loops
Well, you might tell us if you mean trout, steelhead, salmon, saltwater or ?

If you mean trout, I would suggest:

Wooly Buggers in #6 and 8, black, brown, and olive.
Bead Head Hare's Ear nymphs.
Carey specials in brown and black

Then for the surface, I would suggest:
Parachute Adams 14-18
Griffith's Gnat 16-20
Stimulators in various colors 12-14

I think that would get you through the winter.

As to places, the cheapest flies you can buy are the Jackson Cardnial brand at Outdoor Emporium, 79 cents each.

You will get nicer, better tied flies at fly shops, and most shops could fill this list, and recommend some better patterns, as I know I have skipped over some.

Rob
---------
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

Dries:

Parachute Adams; 12-18
Elk hair caddis; 12-18
parachute caddis; 12-20
x-caddis; 12-20
Stimulator (various colors); 10-16
some Wulfs and/or humpies; 12-16
Some mayfly "imitations" (parachutes, comparaduns, plus sparkle duns and/or other emergers); Pale Morning Duns, Blue Winged Olives, March Browns (for around here)

Nymphs:

Hares ears; 12-20
Pheasant tails; 12-20
stoneflies (various colors); 8-14
Prince nymph; 10-16
chironomids (for lakes); 10-24 (all in different colors, styles, and materials)
damsel nymph (lakes); 8-14
All in bead-head and non bead-head versions

Streamers:

woolly bugger (black, brown, olive, maroon); 4-10 (in bead-head and non bead-head)
Zonker; 4-10

I'd call that your essential starter kit. After that, the choices will never end.

I agree with the others on the fly selection. You might want to try Hills Discount Flies- look at the bottom of the main page of this website. I've been pretty happy with their flies. They have fly packages that look ideal for you. :THUMBSUP

Old Man

Just an Old Man
What do I know---I'm just an old man

This same question has come up several times in the past. This would be a good subject for your FAQ site. Just a hint.

Jim

Steak Daddy

Steve Daley - West Seattle Denizen
Thanks everyone, this is exactly what I was looking for. I realize that this was a wide open question, but your responses are just what I needed to get going.

Your help is much appreciated!

Latest posts