Steelhead Count For Methow?

Just wondering if anyone is keeping track. Is there an opener coming up? Is there any way to legally target steelhead for c&r. Please no flamers just want to know if I can fish it!! Just want to do some fishing and :beer2:

Panhandle

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a girl, who knows a biologist, who knows a fish, that doesn't speculate. I think Methows right, if it didn't open on Saturday, I don't think its going to open. That means a winter on the Clearwater, GR, and some new exploring on eastern Washington steelhead streams. With this rain, who knows though.

fredaevans

Bummer! Remember trout fishing this river waaaay back in the 1960's and having the rod jerked out of my hand! Leaping Silver Bullit on the end of a 4wt fly rod; what a gas!!!! Dumb as it sounds the fish really did take the rod right out of my hand; who would have expected a sizeable steelhead when you're fishing for 10-12 inch trout?

Too bad, I am taking my dad out for our annual fishing weekend. I was hoping I could introduce him to that area. It is so beautiful! Maybe we should fish with hookless flies!

Panhandle

I think that would be more trouble than its worth, Fish and game is pretty strong on the Methow and you would likley be harrassed by them and the locals as to what you are doing. It think that still may be illegal anyway- being thay you're still targeting them, regardless if a hook is involved or not.

skwala said:
I think that would be more trouble than its worth, Fish and game is pretty strong on the Methow and you would likley be harrassed by them and the locals as to what you are doing. It think that still may be illegal anyway- being thay you're still targeting them, regardless if a hook is involved or not.
My comment was tongue in cheek humor ;) Yes I do realize some people here would really consider that :p

Here's the latest from the WDFW weekend report:

Northcentral Washington

Fishing: Anglers should keep an eye out for an expected announcement of the opening of hatchery steelhead fishing on the mainstem upper Columbia River. Fishing could open there as early at Saturday, pending approval from federal fishery managers. Check the WDFW website at http://wdfw.wa.gov for the latest information.

WTF?????? Good news, I guess - I'll be out of town (sniff, sniff)

Just on the radio.......The main stem Columbia is open for steelhead fishing. They are still waiting for sufficient fish to open the tribs. No guess as to when that might happen.

That November 1 date looks like a good bet, though.

That is real interesting since the wdfw information website doesn't list the Columbia as open in their emergency changes lists. I think the radio may be jumping the gun a little.

Methow

Right now it will be the Columbia from Rocky Reach to Chief Jo dam. There is no talk of any tribs opening. Opening the Columbia looks to be on Sat.. but better check the web site to be sure.
The Methow is short approximately 82 wild fish needed for a opener, the Okanogan is short about 20. They need the min. wild fish to cover the inc. morts from catch and release. At this point they don't see the min. being met.