Thinking of getting a spey rod.

Porter

fredaevans said:
Frank, a couple of thoughts. First, for a 'first spey rod' a 10wt is over kill and appropriate for winter water flow fishing 'only.' As mentioned above, stick with a 8/9 wt rod for more of an "all-rounder" for fishing summer and winter.

Can you give me a link to "it's a new reel called the "Summit?" Only Pflueger by that name I can recall was an old-timer level wind. I'd also recommend the larger reel size mentioned by PDM above. Sooner or later you will want to line your rod with something other than the WC. A larger reel (capacity) will probably be a requirement.
Fred
Go to Cabela's web site ...punch in Pflueger Summit and you will see the fly reel mentioned. This is the only place I have seen/heard of it.

Porter said:
Go to Cabela's web site ...punch in Pflueger Summit and you will see the fly reel mentioned. This is the only place I have seen/heard of it.
Have to admit to feeling a bit 'silly;' their catalog came in yesterday's mail .. and guess what ......:hmmm: Sheesh. Rather a nice looking 'bit o' kit.'

F

frankrutledge

OK, Went to the Tolt and threw a line around for a bit with a friend and Aaron. What a nice guy, free class, his equipment and did I mention the class was free! I really think I need to take another class though. I felt a little awkward and by the time I started to get the hang of the basic cast, my toes separated from my feet, good thing I have glue at home. ;)
The rod we casted that day was a 13' and some change, I think it was an 8 or 9 wt. There is some serious work ahead, as far as me learning to cast a spey right, but I think it's an easier cast then slinging an 8 or 9 wt single handed rod.
Philster, Thanks again for the offer, I didn't pm you because I see another deserving soul got it. But thanks again.
I think if Aaron is going to teach me to cast I'll see what he has for sale first then make a decision, did I mention the class is free! :thumb:
Frank.

Philster

Aaron's pedigree is pretty rich in Spey Casting. Check out Mike Maxwell's book for a glorious shot of his sultry mug:thumb: He truly has forgotten more than most will know...